Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portfolio: Reporting and the redesigned planning interface

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 21, 2020

I have been learning about Portfolio for Jira, initially by reading and watching videos, and then by trying to use it - and what I am seeing is VERY different from what I learned initially.

Have reports been removed completely, or are they integrated into plans?

If integrated into plans, how can we use plans to report on releases, themes, schedules, capacity, and sprints?

How can we export plan information?

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the thought that HUGE chunks of critical functionality were excised from the application - so I assume that this is due to my newness to the product.

Can anyone shed some light on this?  I'll buy you a pint (in spirit)

1 answer

0 votes
Roi Fine
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 21, 2020

HI @Rob Horan ,

My name is Roi, a product manager on the team. In regards to reporting, the way it works is that you'll need to filter, group, color the Roadmap tab. Then, you can save it as a view (version 3.23 and forward) and/or share it as a report via a link or a confluence macro (export is coming soon). 

You can basically get almost everything you had in the old Portfolio by slicing the data other than the theme report. If you are looking for themes, we recommend you either use labels or components.

Please let me know if the above makes sense.

I'd be happy to chat with you to learn more about your experience if you'd be interested. 

Roi 

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 21, 2020

Hi Roi,

Thank you for your reply - it is very helpful.

I don't have an old version - I was just learning about it and was putting together ideas for a client, and I realized that much of what I thought could be done is no longer possible since the functionality has been removed.  Is there a guide that says essentially if you used X in the older version you can get that functionality by doing (whatever) in the new interface?  This would be EXTREMELY helpful for me right now since all of my planning is based on the outdated model.

I am not sure how labels and components can be substituted as they are only cosmetic, and do not carry other meanings. Also, aren't labels and components more vulnerable to misuse by Jira users who are using them for their own personal organization?

I think it's risky to assume that everyone who has Jira has Confluence, just as I would not assume everyone that has Jira has Jira Software.

So assuming there is no Confluence, there is no way to send someone a report that does not require them to look at a live link?

Also, there is no way to send a snapshot at any given moment that can be used as a basis for comparison at a later date? 

Why was the export facility removed?  

Sorry for the barrage of questions.

Roi Fine
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 21, 2020

Hey Robert, no worries :) 

I know there is a lot of change form the old version, but we believe it's only for the better. The new UI introduced in version 3.0 is much simpler and intuitive to plan with.

• Here is a page that describes the changes in functionality
  • If labels and components are used for miscellaneous you can use custom field - Single choice
  • Starting in version 3.23 you can save views in your plan and share them via a link
  • Exporting to CSV is also available, more export options coming soon
  • Your feature request about snapshots is interesting, I'd encourage you to raise a feature request

I hope that helps,

Roi   

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 22, 2020

Thank you - I still don't see where the export to CSV option is but I will find it in the documentation.  Thanks again.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events