Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portfolio Plan : Why do some Epics appears as "issues without parent Epic" ??

Myriam Goude November 26, 2018

Hello Dear community !

I'm struggling with Portfolio plan ..... 

We use 6 projects on Jira. Each of them a next-gen project and exactly the same config.

We defined Epics that have inside one to n stories.

Now, we want to import the Epics in Portfolio Plan. When we try to import them, only 3 of them are considered as Epics as the other Epics are displaid in the mess of Stories that are classified under " issues without parent Epics".

Why don't these Epics bring up on top when we import them ? 

8 answers

1 vote
Greg Gosdeck September 2, 2021

i was able to remediate this my particular issue by setting the filter to:

the issue was that it was trying to leverage Initiatives which is unfortunately something we do not take advantage of, meaning:

Initiative                                 <---- (PARENT)
       |_____Epic                           <---- (Child)
                  |___Story 
                            |____Task

Henry Chad Apale March 17, 2022

^This is the answer right here! Make sure to utilize the Filter dropdown and adjust the hierarchy structure of your plan :) 

Screen Shot 2022-03-17 at 2.16.28 PM.png

1 vote
philas April 8, 2019

Hi, i have the same problem. Any progress?

0 votes
Calum Hervieu April 27, 2023

I am also having the same issue. We do not use initiatives. I want to see Epics & stories, so I cannot filter from "epic to epic". Some Epics show up correctly (as the highest level in the hierarchy) in our roadmap, but others show up under "issues without parent" which are default to be hidden. Is there any solution available?

A Li
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 3, 2023

Wow. 4 years on still same problem since discovery :(

0 votes
Cem Kocainan March 7, 2023

If parent tasks are Done/Resolved, they disappear from my plan, and the child issues show as issues with no parent. 

0 votes
Greg Gosdeck September 2, 2021

i just tripped across this today after using Adv Road Maps for several weeks with no issues.  what is the root cause of this? 

0 votes
Deleted user June 23, 2021

So many years on, and I'm having the same problem. Outrageously frustrating!!!

0 votes
Nathan Funk December 18, 2019

I have the same problem. Does Portfolio expect that all Epics must be under Initiatives?

At the same time I'm accepting that perhaps this isn't really a problem, just that for consistency Epics that aren't under an Initiative maybe need to be grouped under something so they decided to created this as the parent item to group these Epics under.

0 votes
Cynthia Schwarz September 19, 2019

I am also coming across this issue. Is it something to do with the Next Gen projects?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events