Portfolio Permissions - Need to configure initiatives and hierarchy levels

Ana Djonovic September 26, 2019

Does anyone know what permissions are needed/required to in order to have the option to configure initiatives and other hierarchy levels?  I am trying to point the system admin to right level of permissions?  The noted documentation didn't explicitly indicate user type associated to my needs:  Permissions in Portfolio for Jira

Thanks, in advance!

1 answer

0 votes
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 27, 2019

Hi Ana,

Thanks for reaching out to the community and welcome.  As for the permissions to set up the initiatives hierarchy levels, It's the Portfolio Administrator global permission you need from the article you linked but there is a bug currently where the menu options are hidden behind the Jira Administrator permission.

The Bug can be seen at the following link:

While inconvenient there is a navigational workaround of either:

1. using the Direct URL to navigate to the administration settings, and the links are noted in the Bug report, just modify the base URL portion for your deployment.
  2. hitting the "g" key twice rapidly or hitting the period "." key, which will open up the quick search navigation dialogue.  From here just type "portfolio" and you will get a list of the admin functions to navigate to:

Screen Shot 2019-09-27 at 3.04.10 PM.png

Regards,
Earl

Ana Djonovic October 3, 2019

Thank you, kindly, for the quick reply... most appreciated!!

Like Earl McCutcheon likes this
Ana Djonovic October 28, 2019

Earl,

Want to sanity check this statement - received from tech support @ work.  No, I am not a jira admin or fully grasp the access logic, but this reply doesn't make any logical sense to me: "changing the portfolio would be the global change, and providing access as a portfolio admin would mean giving more admin rights which can be a risk since portfolios span across the whole product/projects". Then I asked if they would work with us to build a portfolio hierarchy: "Unfortunately it isn't, also i don't think its possible to have multiple hierarchy since portfolio hierarchies are global, its not based on per project"  What I am not understanding... based on the articles that I've read, creating a portfolio hierarchy is created for one per portfolio, right? What do I not understand, because my take away is this admin doesn't understand how portfolio works, based on both his replies?  Any insight or reading would be helpful, I am seriously at a loss.  Thank you, in advance!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events