• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Portfolio | Can't nest story/task under initiative directly -- requires issue to be nested in epic.

As far as I can tell, there is no way currently to nest a simple task or story into the initiative or hierarchy above epic for it to be included in the scope. There are a few bodies of work that are too small to be an epic, but are part of an initiative.

As seen below, Portfolio only gives the option of added epic when adding new issue under initiative. My current Issue Type hierarchy is: Initiative > Epic > Story/Task

Screen Shot 2020-01-02 at 11.29.51 AM.png

If this is true, Portfolio forces the user to have direct nesting as seen here https://www.atlassian.com/agile/project-management/epics-stories-themes :

Screen Shot 2020-01-02 at 11.17.40 AM.png

This forces me to either

1. change that simple task into an epic
  2. nest it under an unrelated epic so that it will be included
  3. make a placeholder epic of no value and nest it under that

All of these are not incredibly helpful. Is there a workaround, something less clunky, or potentially something that I am doing wrong?

1 answer

0 votes

Hello @bpohuski

Thank you for reaching out.

I'm not sure of what kind of functionalities and dependencies you want to create between the initiative and the Story/task, but an option to achieve that "Connection" between both Issues would be to use the default Jira issue link:

Linking issues - Jira Cloud 

You could simply create a link type with the name that would better describe their relation and properly link both issues. Would that be an option for you?

Let us know if you have any questions.

Hey @Petter Gonçalves, thanks for the response. For some reason, it got buried in my notifications. My response is better late than never I suppose!

Traditional linking unfortunately does not help me due to the portfolio view not reflecting the hierarchy. People routinely use portfolio to see the full scope of an initiative. Unless the issue is nested, it will not display in portfolio as part of the parent.

There are fringe tasks that are not part of any of my existing epics or stories that should be captured under the larger initiative umbrella. Imagine I have a simple task like "enable access to xyz" that is directly part of the initiative but at the same time does not necessitate adding an epic specifically for it. The current behavior would force me to make some generic epic to capture all the miscellaneous tasks, which is confusing for people looking at the plan.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Advanced Roadmaps

3 short videos to help you get started with Advanced Roadmaps

Hi community, I’m Roi, a product manager working on Advanced Roadmaps for Jira. While Advanced Roadmaps is a powerful tool to plan and track work at scale, we know it can be challenging to get star...

6,555 views 25 18
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you