Plan is not distributing the hours well

Szymon Turczynowicz February 1, 2022

Hello All,

I set up View - "Sprint capacity management" and added Target Start (17/Jan/2022) and Target (11/Feb/2022). Time estimated for 15 hours.

Task time is 4 full weeks but it is not distributing the 15 hours throughout the 4 weeks but rather that puts all the time in the first week:

2022-02-01 14_26_24-.png
Do you have any idea what am I doing wrong? Do you need more information about my Plan?

Best regards,
Szymon

1 answer

0 votes
Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 1, 2022

I can only imagine that, the previous 2 weeks have passed (so the work can't be done then) and the estimated 15 hours fits into the capacity of the week of 30/Jan....so why not do it then?

I only know the cloud version, but again, I believe it will schedule the work at the earliest opportunity (which is what has happened) and even if Benja had 160 hours work loaded for the 4 week period, AR would still try and schedule the 40 task in one block/sprint.

This is a fairly standard Scrum philosophy, anything started, should be finished within the same sprint. That is why they recommend breaking the work down into bite sized (with an iteration/sprint) chunks. Consequently, i doubt Atlassian would build the logic into any capacity planning to spread the work out over the longest period (especially over multiple sprints).

In other words, I believe it is behaving is it should.

Why a timeline of 4 weeks to do 15 hours work anyway? Asking on behave of the AR algorithm   ☮

Benjamín Jacuinde February 2, 2022

Hi Curt, 
I understand that in this example where it is a task and that it could be completed in a week, but the problem is that a few weeks ago JIRA was correctly distributing the hours within the time that is assigned, but this changed (I do not know the reason) and now it is presenting the error. here is another example of an affected plan where that was distributing the hours correctly (First screenshot 1.JPG) and a few days ago it is wrong (second screenshot 2.JPG)
1.JPG2.JPG

Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 2, 2022

Hi @Benjamín Jacuinde 

I note the dates on the weeks have changed (7, 14, 21 etc) to (6, 13, 20), that could be the difference.
Is that a selectable/changeable setting (sorry, I've only dealt with Cloud, which doesn't have this particular functionality)

Ultimately, if you believe it has changes and that change has broken t, raise it with Atlassian. 

Like Benjamín Jacuinde likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events