Plan in Portfolio for Jira

Eitan yomtovian February 10, 2019

Hello,

I installed the Portfolio for Jira plugin and have a few questions:

1. Is there an option to automatically adjust tasks based on the level of prioritization and creation date?

2. Can I add a "priority" column to the scope table?

3. I have defined a working day as 8 hours, but when there are several short tasks (with less than 8 hours of work) are shown in the scope they currently work.

Attached is an illustration:

2.png

{In the attached picture, I have made the task conditional manually}.

I would appreciate your reference,

Eitan.

1 answer

0 votes
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 11, 2019

Hello Eitan,

For point 1, Portfolio uses the Agile Ranking functionality in the schedule layout for the defined order.  The board must be ordered by Rank in order to use the drag and drop functionality and ranking is a big part of the scheduling algorithm.  You can Disable Ranking by changing the Board filter "order by" values for a custom level based on prioritization and creation date but in doing this you loose the benefits of agile ranking and all items would need staticky assigned variables rather than dynamic prioritization defeating the intended purpose of the plans design.  Basically the plan would not plan for you and you would need do everything manually, So I would recommend against doing this.

For Point 2, Not the Priority Field, But there is a feature request here to add this in Viewable here.  While you can add in additional standard custom field types as columns to the scope view, Priority is a advanced System field type and all advanced field types are not supported except the default system field types already in Portfolio. details on the configuration options available can bee seen here 

For Point 3, the Lighter Blue highlight end caps on the schedule indicate dependencies on the issues that prevent one from starting before the next can start.  Additionally make sure you have Team Members with available Capacity.

Regards,
Earl

Eitan yomtovian February 12, 2019

Hi Earl,

Thanks for the answers.

For your first answer -  

Do you mean that you can only arrange them automatically using a filter, but the logical stipulations between tasks need to be done manually?

For your second answer -  
Do you know when they will implement that issue that been opened?

For your third answer -  

I don't understand how it connected to the fact that task with Original Estimate of 3h is like a task of Working day (8 hours).

How do I solve this problem?

Best Regards,

Eitan.

Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 12, 2019

Hi Eitan,

For an example on the ranking conflict that can occur, if you order say by Priority "project = RANKLESS ORDER BY priority ASC" in effect disabling the Rank, on the board the order is now defined by the Priority, and also Alphabetically.  They are grouped together but you can no longer drag and drop to rearrange or you get this popup error (the data ordering is Static based on priority):

Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 1.43.01 PM.png

If you now create a plan from this Board, the Plan is still going to use the Rank as the sort order, noting the sort order has changed to the order I created the test issues rather than grouping and ordering by Priority as defined on the Board:

Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 1.56.09 PM.png

On the plan you can still rearrange the issues order and the plan will attempt to calculate the schedule based off of the scheduling behavior items that you assign to it, but back on the Board the data is still statically set to an order based off your priority, so nothing done in the schedule on Portfolio will be reflected in the Board where the work is done, and you will have a disconnect between the plan and the working location for your teams.  Basically the data does not push back to jira for the defined order.

Next on the Feature request I do not have any info on a time frame but I did a bit of playing around and found a partial workaround for this (Noting that it will allow the field to be copied over on transitions only but will not pick up on an issue edit).  Jira adopted  a native Post function "Copy Value From Other Field" from JMWE when they unbundled the app from the Cloud App.  But using this post function you can do the following:

• Create a Custom Field of type "Text Single Line" 
  • Add this field to the field configuration of the project and set the field to hidden
  • On the workflow for the project add in a post function to copy "Priority" to this new Field on all transitions
  • In Portfolio Add the New Field to the plan

Once added you can select this as a column and use the column sort option:

Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 3.19.52 PM.png

But do note that sorting by any column other than the "#" column is a view only order and does not change the schedule which is still taking rank into consideration but can be used to give you a better idea of differences 

Additionally the reason this will work on Transitions only is because the Update event triggered by an edit requires a Listener to pick up the event and trigger an action and listeners are blocked on cloud for security issues that are associated with their use, detailed here:

For the Dependencies, you are going to want to look at the "Dependent story constraint" by going to the plan Configure >> Scheduling, and set "Dependent story constraint" to Off, this will allow the Dependent items to be scheduled in the same sprint, and I would also recommend looking at and voting for the following Feature request as it details the current behavior and is asking for a more granular breakdown of this feature set that seems to fit what you are looking for:

Regards,
Earl

Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
February 12, 2019

One more thing,

Here is the cloud version for that feature I linked the Server version of the request in my last comment:

Regards,
Earl

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events