cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plan Roll-up Dates Reflected in Program

Aaron Gage
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 3, 2021

Our organization recently upgraded AR so that we have the Roll-up Dates feature and it's GREAT!  That said, I've discovered that while enabling the Roll-up Dates feature on a plan, the results do NOT populate the issue fields and thus a Program that includes multiple plans is unable to display the resulting Start/End of the Plan Issues.....  This means I have to still manually update each Target Start/End to so that our leadership can see the results across the Program....

Anyone know of a way around this?  Unfortunately this sort of makes the Roll-up feature less useful in the big picture.

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 3, 2021

Hi @Aaron Gage 

I'm only familiar with Cloud, but it is the same as you describe.

Question:

you are rolling up dates from stories to Epics (that don't have dates set) is that right?

I would have thought, if the same stories are in multiple plans....they are still linked to the same epic's, which would be linked to the same Initiatives (or whatever your hierarchy is), so I would have thought the roll up would be the same...no?

Actually, writing the above makes me wonder: Do all the Plans in question make use of the same date fields? On Cloud this is configurable per plan and is where the plan looks for "rolling up". if these are different, then that would affect the roll-up or lack of it.

dates.png

Bottom line though, no roll p does not update back to Jira. It is just another visualisation tool for use within a plan.

0 votes
Bonnie Lopes August 4, 2021

@Aaron Gage ,

You are exactly right,  on Jira Server, Which I wonder will apply to Cloud as well? I too, have hit this wall and been very frustrated, as I have been trying to get my enterprise to use their plans with roll-up dates, then use their programs for their management views, but having to then hardcode the roll-up dates into the fixed dates to see them in the program schedule defeats the purpose of allowing the dates to be rolled-up in the first place, as we find ourselves, having to keep updating the dates as they get stale.  Like you, getting an automation put in place at our enterprise level, although do-able could prove a bit complex, maintenance heavy, given the variation within the organization, that could be handled seamlessly via applying the roll-up dates to the program schedule, on a plan per plan basis, give a single plan can belong to only one program, so its plan's date rules can be applied to the program you would think without too much issue, as I know these dates are available as they appear in a plan export.

Aaron Gage
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 4, 2021

@Bonnie Lopes No idea if it actually helps, but if you want to up vote!

AR Suggestion to support Plan Roll-Up dates on Programs 

0 votes
Aaron Gage
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 3, 2021

@Curt Holley Yes, I am using the "use Sprint dates" for the stories, which then allows for the roll-up into the parent Epic which allows roll-up to the parent Capability when allows roll-up to the parent Initiative.....It's all GREAT!  When you're looking at a single plan..... :)

I really like the concept of pulling together multiple plans into a single program that shows visibility at the macroscopic level, but if the roll-up doesn't have a way to translate then it loses value when trying to get a holistic view.

Ideally, I'm able to have multiple plans that different individuals are managing and the Program provides the representation across all of the plans, but this will unfortunately add overhead to the Plan managers to update the Target Start/End data.

Maybe I should submit a suggestion.....but I'm not able to use a Cloud instance so it will probably never go anywhere :(

Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 3, 2021

Do you have scriptrunner or some automation tool? As you could get the automation to add the dates for you

Aaron Gage
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 3, 2021

I think we might, but due to the size of our organization I think that would have to go through the enterprise team and probably be more hassle than it's worth sadly.

Thanks for the idea though!

Alison Clough March 5, 2024

@Bonnie LopesWe recently started adopting Advanced Roadmaps. Were you able to get an automation built to populate the roll-up date into the Target Start/End on the issues? We wanted to try this but are not sure how to go about it. 

Bonnie Lopes March 5, 2024

@Alison Clough , No I never took the time to write this automation, if anyone else has, could you please post here for everyone

Thank you

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events