Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Permission issues - updating Parent Links

Warren Rowe November 19, 2019

Hi, the Permissions documentation for Jira for Portfolio states that a user only needs Portfolio for Jira viewer access to update parent links on Jira Issues. However experimentation tells me they need Portfolio for Jira user access.

Portfolio for Jira.PNG

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiraportfolioserver/permissions-967895173.html?_ga=2.78013968.506059112.1574219494-168083476.1537829377

Has anyone else bumped into this issue?

I don't like having to give everyone Portfolio for Jira user access as I do not want them creating plans - given that they get to set the scope of the plan the may accidentally change someone else's work.

1 answer

0 votes
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 2, 2019

Hi @Warren Rowe ,

Thanks for reaching out and the documentation you linked is the Portfolio for Jira Server version, and you have added the Cloud tag to this post, and there is going to be a slight deviation in the feature set in this case depending on the base platform.

The cloud version documentation for permissions can be seen at:

As covered in the cloud version of the doc and as you have been seeing in your tests the Viewer role is a read only option for portfolio and you would require the editor permission to make any changes to the portfolio specific functionality.

Regards,
Earl

Warren Rowe December 26, 2019

You are correct I am using Cloud. I took the snip form the Server version because the description of the roles is clearer (of course they may/will not apply for my Cloud instance).

The article you reference is about setting plan permissions. I am OK with these permissions.

My issue relates to users not being able to set a Parent Link in Jira (outside of a portfolio plan). Obviously this only relates to Issue types that I have defined as part of my (global) Portfolio hierarchy).

Dave explains my issue well: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Portfolio-for-Jira-questions/What-permissions-required-for-setting-a-Parent-on-an-Epic/qaq-p/1219011.

Like Earl McCutcheon likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events