Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Original Story Points - Use Case

I'm looking for a recommendation and/or advice on how to best utilize the original story points field.

The out-of-the-box scrum template obviously has the story points field. If I associate the original story points field with the same story screen, I'm concerned that users will be confused as to what field to complete. In essence, they would see a "Story Point" field followed by the "Original Story Point" field.

I'm looking for some recommendations/insight into how those in the user community utilize the "Original Story Point" field.

Do users simply use the "Original Story Points" field within Advanced Roadmaps for Jira app and not expose the field within the screens? 

Thank you in advance for your recommendations.

1 answer

0 votes
Dave Atlassian Team Mar 02, 2021

Hi @Robert Campbell ,

Sorry for the slow response to this question.... I was a little confused by this at first but I've done some investigation and I think it looks like "Original Story Points" is just an Advanced Roadmaps field that is only applicable for use in the Live Plans interface.

It is described on this page: https://www.atlassian.com/blog/jira-software/ew-features-portfolio-for-jira-2-2 

There is a new column you can add labeled “Original Story Points” or “Original Estimates” (depending on your estimation unit) in the scope section of your plan where you can input your initial estimates. This will give you a rough estimate of the amount of work that is needed to get your projects delivered. You’ll always have this column to refer to as you break down and provide more detailed story estimates. This allows you to compare the accuracy of original estimates with current ones. 

However, this field is not accessible directly on Jira issue screens and can only be accessed in Advanced Roadmaps and only in the old interface.

As we've now announced the deprecation of that interface I would recommend that you don't invest any time in making use of it.

Having said that, I would like to understand further your use cases for a feature like this? Or whether you were just investigating the capabilities of the interface?

Regards,

Dave

Good morning Dave, my apologies for the late reply. I can't say I have a use case in mind. Advanced Roadmaps documentation mentioned a handful of fields, e.g. "Team", "Target Start", "Target End", and "Original Story Points". I've associated all of the fields with specific screens to facilitate the flow of information; however, I held off on adding the original story points field because I wasn't quite sure if it truly added value or if it would simply cause confusion. That's the reason behind the post.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira

Admins, notify your Jira instance of system-wide changes with the new admin announcement banner

Hi All! We’re excited to share the launch of an announcement banner that lets Jira site administrators communicate directly to their users across Jira Cloud instance.   📢 Get y...

202 views 8 8
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you