Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One Time Child issue Update if Epic contains specific label

Katja Arendt August 4, 2022

Hello All,

I want to update all child issues of certain epics once.

When a story is created or modified, this rule already applies.

Screenshot 2022-08-04 101757.png

But I want to do the same once for all already existing child issues (stories) that are assigned to an Epic that contains label "WBS_Parent".

If Epic contains label "WBS_Parent" then add the label "WBS_Story" to all child issues. 

How can I search in an automation for Epics that all contain label "WBS_Parent" and then apply this rule to all child issues?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 4, 2022

Hi @Katja Arendt

for a completely different direction:

If this is a one-time action, you could consider using a regular bulk edit. The challenge then is to get to the list of relevant stories; you can either use one of the various JQL extensions in the Marketplace, or one of the more "hierarchy-focused" apps, as discussed e.g. here. Once you have the list of stories, simply run through Jira's bulk edit flow and add the label.

Best,

Hannes

Katja Arendt August 5, 2022

Hi Hannes, thanks for your answer and also for the link to the other thread, which is exactly my question. With the help of Excel and a few workarounds, I was then able to solve it using the Bulk Change function.

I just hope that such basic functions like JQL searches in JQL searches will be included in Jira by default in the future. 

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 4, 2022

Hello @Katja Arendt 

You can create a rule where the trigger is Scheduled, and enter a JQL to find the issues you want to update. The rule would otherwise be similar to the one you already have.

You will probably want to uncheck the second box I highlighted in the image.

Screen Shot 2022-08-04 at 3.44.09 PM.png

Katja Arendt August 5, 2022

Hi, thanks for your answer.

But basically I am facing the same problem here as in the filter JQL search. Because it would look like this in my opinion:

Project = xyz and type in (story, bug, support) and Epic in (type in (Epic) and labels in (WBS_Parent)).

But as I have read several times, without in paid ad-on a JQL search in another JQL search is not possible.

So I thought that I can solve this via Jira Automation.

Like for example as trigger I set Scheduled Action that searches for all Epics with label "WBS_Parent" and the following Actions should then be applied to all Childs of these Epics found in the JQL search. 

Since I didn't get further with the automation I did it as follows:

I built a filter that shows all Epics with the desired label. Then I exported the list to an Excel.

Afterwards I formatted the Epics Key's (e.g. R2O-1234) in Excel so that I can copy them into the JQL search. This is because I have over 100 keys that I did not want to type.

The search looked like this

Project = R2O and type not in (epic) and "Epic Link" in (R2O-123, R2O-234, R2o-555 .....)

So the filter showed me all child issues of the epics, which I could then edit via "Bulk Change". 

I am still surprised that such "standard cases" cannot be mapped via Basic Jira. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events