Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New experience - how to show external dependency?

Georgii Lumpov March 27, 2019

Hello! I'm using Portfolio with New Experience turned on. It is very useful to visualize dependencies b/w work items inside the portfolio plan. But... I have some blockers outside of my plan.

I.e. a Story that I see in my Portfolio plan has a dependency on a story which is outside of my plan. I want to see a warning in case that dependency is not resolved by the dates I currently have planned. Is there any way to do so?

Of course I could have updated the issues source and include those stories into my plan but... this is not what I want since in that case I won't be able to use optimize functionality since it is applied to the entire plan.

Any advice here?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ruslan Prakapchuk
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 28, 2019

Hello Georgii,

We went through the same reasoning and added showing external dependencies to Portfolio! This feature will be available in the next release.

----

Portfolio for Jira Server Team

Georgii Lumpov April 2, 2019

Yay!!! Awesome!

Marcin Paradowski October 22, 2019

Hello Ruslan,

The external dependencies are displayed correctly. Great!

But I have a story A in an external plan, which has an target end date set to 29/Apr/20, and in my plan a story B, which has a relation "is blocked by" to story A but portfolio ignores this relation / the target end date and says that there is a chance to complete story B much faster ;)

Any advice? Are there any plans to include external relations in planning?

0 votes
Chris Pearce March 27, 2020

Hi, I'm not sure this is working as expected for me on Jira Portfolio Cloud.

I have a portfolio plan setup with a single parent project which we use to manage our high level product backlog. This project is a plan source. The hierarchy is setup to be Epic > Story.

The stories in this project are then marked as "blocked" by stories & epics from other projects which are not marked as sources for the portfolio.

Two things here:

1. When I use the dependency UI from portfolio view I cannot select any issue other than from a source which has been marked as "in scope". This is hugely frustrating. As a user I just want to be able to select an issue, wherever it may be in my jira instance, and have it pulled into scope or displayed as a dependency.

2. Upon seeing this community issue I went directly to the issue page and added the dependency there. I was then expecting to see it shown in my portfolio view but alas, no.

Right now portfolio isn't fit for our purpose. The effort required to prune our many team project so they would not overwhelm portfolio view is huge. So instead we have this top level "product backlog" project which is a high-level, accessible to all, view of our roadmap which users can then drill down through dependencies to find the meat of the work. This works great without portfolio but I had hoped portfolio would give us a nicer hierarchical view.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events