Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

New Issues created under an epic not inheriting epic's team

Is there any way to set stories in a epic to use the same team as the epic itself, or am I stuck manually updating the team for every new story I create in the epic? We are grouping our roadmap by team, however the default state for every new story created under epics (even epics assigned to a team) is for them to go into the "Unassigned" bucket. I would like it better if the new story inherited whatever the epic's team value is by default.

1 answer

Yes, we do this ourselves.

You need to know the custom field number for the team field on your instance. In our case, it is 10356 -- so you can follow the example.

The first screen shot is the automation I have in place. Note that you need to have an epic link to reference the epic's team field. You can see the trap I have for that and also the way I handle it. 

The way to make this work is to edit the issue field the way I show in the second screen shot.

I hope that helps.

-Rick

Screen shot 1:

TeamName1.PNG

Screen shot 2:TeamName2.PNG

Thanks Rick - this makes sense, but unfortunately I don't believe I have access to the automation tool for my project. Maybe I can convince the admin to help me out with that.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Service Management

Improving the Create Issue Experience in Jira Service Management Cloud

Hello everyone!  We are very excited to announce some much needed changes to the issue create experience in JSM (the blue "create" button) at the top of the screen.  We have just starte...

180 views 7 5
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you