My Portfolio Scope does not show INITIATIVES that were created *and* manually "linked" in JIRA

Malcolm Ryder May 2, 2019

I created Themes and Initiatives in Jira. I populated those two issues in Jira. I also created Themes and Initiatives in Portfolio with the understanding that Portfolio would look for those issue types in the project I used to create and populate them.

However in the Portfolio Scope, I neither see Initiatives that I manually linked to Stories in Jira, nor can I search for them via Portfolio to retrieve them from where they already live in Jira.

WHY NOT?

1 answer

0 votes
Morgan Folsom
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 3, 2019

Hi Malcolm, 

Two things:

1. Have you updated the global Portfolio hierarchy to include themes and initiatives? If no, you'll want to do that first.(note that this is global and affects all Portfolio plans in your Jira instance) 
  2. If yes, check that your data source include for the plan include those issue types (if it includes the entire project, that should be sufficient)

If your hierarchy is configured correctly and your data source includes the issues, make sure you're navigating to each hierarchy level in the top left of the plan to see the right level. 

Let me know if that doesn't solve it - screenshots of what you're seeing in Portfolio would be helpful to continue troubleshooting. 

Malcolm Ryder May 3, 2019

Hi. I had already configured the hierarchy levels including creating and naming Themes and Initiatives.

I had already also created (entered) Issues that I categorized as Initiatives as well as others categorized as epics etc.

I have not seen an indication in the user interface that said I was incorrectly defining or describing these items.

However I get an error message that does not correspond with the actions that I have already taken. See the two pics attached here.initiatives missing in Portfolio view.pngportfolio hierarchy config.png

Morgan Folsom
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 3, 2019

The hierarchy looks good to me. 

The Initiative column in your screenshot displays linked parent initiatives of the Epics shown. 

• To link an Initiative to a specific epic, you use the Parent Link field (put it on an Epic screen, and populate it with one of the Initiatives you've created). Parent Link is the field that drives all of the connections above an Epic (you parent link an Epic to an initiative, and you parent link an initiative to a theme). 

To view all Initiatives in the plan, change the hierarchy level here in the top left to Initiative, rather than Epic. 

Screen Shot 2019-05-03 at 2.19.46 PM.png

Are there any projects other than PPM being pulled into the plan? You could be seeing that error if *any* of the projects sourced are missing any of the issue types in their issue types schemes (Initiative, Theme, Epic). 

Hi again.

There is only one project being sourced, so none of the configurations are competing for control with others.

If I follow you correctly, once I have parent links established, then I can set the filter for the view to Initiative level and all the linked Initiatives will show in the initiatives column of the table view? (true/false)....

However, I am stumped as to where to find the Parent Link "field" that I need to handle. I just don't know where to look nor how to get to it.

Attached pictures here: I know it is not at the location where I can select the behavior of a link between issues.

And I know it is not, for example, on the screen configurator for an Epic issue type. 

Can you give me the step by step path to the screen where I can see and apply a Parent Link to an Issue type of Epic? My starting point is the Projects/Portfolio and Program Management/Project settings screen Available behaviors of linked issues.pngEpic Issue Type configuration screen.pngProjects Settings screen.png

An additional note for clarification: 

I already have (as seen here) an Initiative explicitly related to an Epic.

But if I go to this same Epic in the Portfolio Scope screen and open it, Scope says that there is no parent.

If I then search for a parent (also as seen here), I only have the option of searching for other Epics -- which of course does not make sense.

Initiative with a Related Epic Issue Link.pngSearch for Parent of an Epic.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events