Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing Epics in Advanced Roadmaps

jennifer.miles May 26, 2020

I'm just starting to setup Advanced Roadmaps. I pulled in my 3 projects and would expect all the epics in the projects to appear on the list; however, several of them are missing. I have one iniative with 4 epics in it (with their stories). Only 2 of the 4 epics are showing up in my roadmap view. Any ideas?

9 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Irina Mosina _TechTime_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 27, 2020

Hi Jennifer, 

Couple of things to check around the scope of your plan: 

- Are they Unresolved and if Resolved then when?

- Check your plan's for the setting on how long any completed issues stay there

- Do all these Epics belong to the same Jira Project?

- Can some of the Epics be from NextGen Projects?

- Is your plan built based on the list of project, board or a filter?

- If Projects/Boards - did you include all of them?

- If it's a filter - can you see those Epics when you run your filter? 

- Check that Epics are not marked as Done in the Backlog view Epic panel

- Is your Epic part of the Releases your've selected when you were building your plan?

Hope it's enough to kick off some troubleshooting

jennifer.miles May 29, 2020

Thank you for the response. This helped me figure it out. I had limited the plan to only epics that were assigned a release inadvertantly. 

Like Irina Mosina _TechTime_ likes this
Scott Robinson October 30, 2020

@Irina Mosina _TechTime_ - thank you for the list. I have one more to add, but your list led me to the solution. I was missing about half of my epics. There was no pattern - resolved or not, old resolved date, cross-project, etc...When I disabled the Improved Interface, the list of epics present changed, but was still incomplete. When I re-enabled the Improved Interface, all of the epics were now present, in the correct Initiative.

- If in the Improved Interface - disable, then re-enable. (Configure - Planning Interface - Disable improved interface)

Like # people like this
Paul Norrod February 26, 2021

@Scott RobinsonDisabling and re-enabling new planning interface fixed this for me as well.

Michael Sisario February 16, 2023

Make sure you have all of the boards or projects included.

1 vote
Michael Murphy July 27, 2020

I have also recently started using this feature and with the information above I am still unable to determine why I am missing the majority of my epics.

I am using a filter which returns ~200 items, however my roadmap only contains ~100 items using the filter as a source. 

AmyConnell
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 27, 2020

Hi Michael,

I am sorry to hear you are continuing the have troubles. I would be interested to learn about the problem you experienced, and also share a prototype solution that might help future occurrences of this problem. If you’re interested to chat, please use this link to book in a 45 minute time slot. https://calendly.com/abalsdon/missing-issues-from-your-plan For your time we would like to offer you a $100 E-gift card.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Amy

Tom Campisi July 28, 2020

+1 for me.

I have a roadmap with 20+ projects and for the most part epics and initiatives correctly show. But I have one where the epic is linked to the initiative in Jira but not in the roadmap.  I checked all the above and am struggling to find out why

@AmyConnell - I would be very interested to learn about your prototype solution too.

AmyConnell
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 28, 2020

Hi Tom,

Sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with your roadmap. If you’re interested to chat, please use this link to book in a 45 minute time slot. https://calendly.com/abalsdon/missing-issues-from-your-plan For your time we would like to offer you a $100 E-gift card.

Amy

Fred Merritt August 3, 2020

Hi Amy,

Im having a similar issue but I can see my epics just fine but when I have a team member look at the roadmap they are missing some of the epics that are showing on my roadmap.

Sean MacWilliams August 5, 2020

Hi Amy, 

I am having the same issue and my roadmap plan is missing epics from a couple different projects. although they are linked to the initiative in JIra they don't appear to show in the roadmap. Also, the epics that are connected for some reason seem to not show all stories associated with the tickets. 

Would love to hear a solution to this current issue my company is facing. 

Thank you, 

AmyConnell
Atlassian Team
August 5, 2020

Hey Tom, Fred and Sean,

Thanks for providing feedback for Advanced Roadmaps new planning experience.
I’m responding to your feedback about several issues not showing up in your plan.

I’ll provide some possible reasons for why issues may not be appearing. If they’re not helpful I encourage you to contact support so our devs can investigate: https://support.atlassian.com/

It’s possible that:

• You didn’t select the relevant releases in the wizard creation. Issues assigned to deselected releases will be excluded.
  • The issue itself wasn’t selected. Either of these 2 can be fixed by via Plan configuration > Issue sources > ‘Edit sources'
  • The issue is ‘Done’ - done issues disappear from the plan in 30 days after completion (this can be configured in the Issue sources config page)
  • The source used for your plan doesn’t include the issue (i.e if you created the board from a specific filter)
  • The release field is hidden for that specific issue type (unlikely if you can see some but not all issues)
  • Issue cannot be included in the plan if they are missing a resolution date. Advanced Roadmaps relies on the ‘Resolved’ date to determine if the issue was completed in the last 30 days, so if there is no date on the issue then it won’t displayed. https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloudkb/best-practices-on-using-the-resolution-field-968660796.html?_ga=2.37236387.2028121135.1596418064-2054720512.1554092418

I recognise this is an annoying hurdle that would discourage you from trying out Advanced Roadmaps. I hope this can help you get setup.
Your feedback is much appreciated.
Kind Regards,
Amy

Charlie Giardino August 20, 2020

I am running into an issue where the only issues being shown in my plan are in a DONE state. None of the open issued in an epic are being displayed in the plan.

We are running Essential SAFe for the program and have created a Jira project to manage all the Features (Epics) for the teams. Each team has their own Jira project and they align the issues in their projects to the Features in the Feature project.

I am simply using 10 of the features across 4 teams to prove this out and am getting nowhere. Can we just get the straight-forward "here is what you have to get right for this to work based on the fact that roadmaps uses this data in your issues to drive the content"

April Siebart August 26, 2020

@AmyConnell 

Hi Amy!

We are also having an issue with advanced road maps - however, it lies within our story tickets that are in "Done" stages like Ready for Staging.

We cannot see them even though they have a release date, a fix version, are assigned to a sprint etc - we can see stories that have been completed, closed and cancelled but no other "done" statuses.

Is this a bug as well as the other issues stated above? I would love to chat as we are trying to utilize this vs excel documents while sprint planning!

ETA Our epics are affected as well 

AmyConnell
Atlassian Team
August 26, 2020

Hi April, 

Sorry to hear you are having issues troubleshooting your plan. 

I believe the issue may be due to the transition of that status not having a post function to set a resolution. If this is the case, issues won't show on the plan. Please read more in this link to understand about the issue and how to fix it. https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/jira-issues-need-a-resolution-826873869.html

If you are unable to resolve the problem, I would encourage you to raise a support ticket via your admin to help with the investigation. https://support.atlassian.com/

Regards,

Amy

April Siebart August 27, 2020

Hi Amy!

Thank you for the response. We ended up changing the status category from "Done" to "In Progress". 

We did not want these statuses to resolve the tickets as the project itself is not completed but dev work is, so that needs to be reflected in the sprint plan (clients need to validate before ticket is "complete").

So far everything looks good - but will definitely create a ticket if any other issues arise.

Thank you!

1 vote
AmyConnell
Atlassian Team
July 22, 2020

Hi Jennifer,

My name is Amy, Advanced Roadmaps product designer. I’m following up on your feedback about missing issues from the Plan. Are you open for a quick chat? I would be interested to learn about the problem you experienced, and also share a prototype solution that might help future occurrences of this problem. If you’re interested to chat, please use this link to book in a 45 minute time slot. https://calendly.com/abalsdon/missing-issues-from-your-plan For your time we would like to offer you a $100 E-gift card.

Amy

jennifer.miles July 28, 2020

I was able to figure our issue out. It ended up being straight forward to figure out. I had an additional filter defined. Happy to give some overall user feedback of our experience so far. It's been a lot harder to really utilize than we expected.

AmyConnell
Atlassian Team
July 28, 2020

Glad to hear you were able to figure out the issue Jennifer! I would love to still chat about the problem you experienced and hear your feedback. If you could book in a time here that would be great! https://calendly.com/abalsdon/missing-issues-from-your-plan Look forward to chatting with you

Amy

Mehrdad Vahabi August 5, 2020

@AmyConnell I have a similar problem and would like to go over this issue with you. I limited my plan to one Project, and one EPIC with No filter on and no error but missing a lot of stories. I have to say I had all the stories at initial stage but all of the sudden missed majority of them during planning. 

AmyConnell
Atlassian Team
August 5, 2020

Hey Mehrdad,

I’m responding to your feedback about several issues not showing up in your plan.

I’ll provide some possible reasons for why issues may not be appearing. If they’re not helpful I encourage you to contact support so our devs can investigate: https://support.atlassian.com/

It’s possible that:

• You didn’t select the relevant releases in the wizard creation. Issues assigned to deselected releases will be excluded.
  • The issue itself wasn’t selected. Either of these 2 can be fixed by via Plan configuration > Issue sources > ‘Edit sources'
  • The issue is ‘Done’ - done issues disappear from the plan in 30 days after completion (this can be configured in the Issue sources config page)
  • The source used for your plan doesn’t include the issue (i.e if you created the board from a specific filter)
  • The release field is hidden for that specific issue type (unlikely if you can see some but not all issues)
  • Issue cannot be included in the plan if they are missing a resolution date. Advanced Roadmaps relies on the ‘Resolved’ date to determine if the issue was completed in the last 30 days, so if there is no date on the issue then it won’t displayed. https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloudkb/best-practices-on-using-the-resolution-field-968660796.html?_ga=2.37236387.2028121135.1596418064-2054720512.1554092418

I recognise this is an annoying hurdle that would discourage you from trying out Advanced Roadmaps. I hope this can help you get setup.
Kind Regards,

Like thomas.peterson likes this
Mehrdad Vahabi August 6, 2020

@AmyConnell Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately my case should be a bug. I had my EPICs, Stories, and Sub tasks, correctly on my plan but during the planning, all of the sudden majority of the stories of only one of the EPICs has been hidden. 

Thanks 

AmyConnell
Atlassian Team
August 9, 2020

Hi Mehrdad, it does sound like a bug. I would I encourage you to contact support so our devs can investigate further https://support.atlassian.com/

Sorry I am unable to assist you with this.

Regards,

Amy

0 votes
Indranil Ghosh December 12, 2022

I have been facing the same issue and cannot figure out the pattern of why I am not able to see a few epics which are visible through the filter. I have checked all the points from the accepted answer but still not able to figure it out. Any help would be very appreciated. @AmyConnell 

0 votes
Stephan Grubbe Sølby May 26, 2021

@AmyConnell I'm working with a clients Jira Server 8.7.1 with Plans 3.27.0. This issue is that I would like to monitor progress for an Epic using issuecount for stories in the Epic.

My problem is that all completed issues and epics disappear from my plan once statusCategory is done. As long as at least one issue remains in progress it works as inteted, once all issues are complete, they are simply removed from the Epic in the plan. When I transition the Epic to a resolved statusCategory it disappears too. 

Basically, From this thread I gather that:

- Plans will use StatusCategory to determine if an issue is "DONE".

- Setting the "keep issues in plan days" field can keep the issues visible. I have set this to 999 999 days, since I want them to show always for this project. It seems to be ignored.

- You mention above, that all issues should have resolutions date set, how is this set since issues are not closed only in StatusCategory done and thus have no resolution set (and shouldn't because the need to be tested and verifyed by the customer at a later date).

Any ideas?

Loretta Rehm June 11, 2021

@AmyConnell , I am having exactly the same issue reported by Stephan above. Not necessarily issues in a statusCategory Done have their Resolution set in JIRA. Only if you choose to do so via postFunction on Transition to the status.

So if you are relying on Resolved field in JIRA (for the Resolution date), why don't you rely on Resolution field not being empty to choose which issues are "Completed" for the purpose of your filter?

JIRA doesn't impose this on its users, it is a shame that if we want to use Advanced Roadmaps we are forced to revamp Workflows impacting thousand of JIRA issues and metrics.

0 votes
Elliot Gates September 17, 2020

For anyone struggling with this and has tried all the answers above:

I opted not to use 'versions' in the initial setup of the plan, but one of my epics had a version tagged against it, which kept it from appearing in the plan.

IMO A better approach would be to have the setup wizard disregard the contents of the 'fix versions' field, rather than outright hiding the issue if the field is populated.

0 votes
Jenn Sherman August 24, 2020

Similar issue. After looking through all the comments above, I tried changing my Epic from done to in progress (even though the epic was set to done within the timeframe I had set in the configuration and the epic did have a resolved date).  When I refreshed the plan, the Epic was in the right place, assigned to the right initiative.  When I set the epic back to done, it disappeared from the plan - this seems like a bug to me.

0 votes
Sean MacWilliams August 5, 2020

I am also having a similar issue. When selecting my data sources I have double checked that the epic is being pulled through. When I get to the plan view looking at the initiatives the epics are still missing even when they are associated with the initiative via a parent-child relationship. any suggestions for fixing this issue? 

0 votes
Perry Lloyd Gollo July 31, 2020

Hi all

I had the same issue. The missing epics were in a resolved state. I had to transition them to an In Progress state, and then start the roadmap creation process again. The missing epics then appeared.

Perry

AmyConnell
Atlassian Team
August 5, 2020

Hey Perry

It’s possible that:

Kind Regards,
Amy

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events