Managing large number of jira boads/issues

Stacy Haller April 26, 2021

We are trying to define an Advanced Roadmap that pulls in approx 15-20 jira project boards.  I am able to add around 12 and then I get the message that there are too many issues to continue.

The documentation seems to point to using the jira project board, but I'm wondering if that is getting me into trouble because the majority of the boards are configured to pull all tickets for that project, so it's pulling to many issues back.

I tried building a filter to use, excluding all sub-task issuetypes and I'm getting 6100+ issues still.  I tried building another filter adding sprint criteria (Sprint in futureSprints() OR Sprint in openSprints()), but the issues tied to kanban projects dropped off.

I see where I can filter by issuetype once I've built the project, but I have to make it through the selection screens before I can filter...

Is there anyone that has managed to get around a similar issue?

2 answers

1 vote
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 26, 2021

@Stacy Haller -

In AR for Jira, the limitation is set at 5000 issues and not more than 50 teams per plan.  In our env (Jira DC), there is a way to increase the the default 2000 issues per plan's limit.  Here is the workaround solutions -

The instructions to change the limit are as follows:

NOTE - Be careful when accessing the Dark Feature UI, as it is hidden for performance reasons. (It is possible to change this value in DC/Server envs. Though it should be noted that this can cause the UI to become slow and unresponsive. We won't be able to guarantee a seamless operation.
)

Enable the "com.atlassian.portfolio.limits.LoadingLimitsConfigurability" dark feature
Access Dark Feature UI - https://your_site/secure/admin/SiteDarkFeatures!default.jspa
Go to /secure/PortfolioLoadingLimits.jspa
Modify the "Hierarchy issue limit"
Refresh the plan page

Hopefully this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Stacy Haller April 26, 2021

Thank you - I had forgotten that dark feature option. 

Have you personally noticed any degradation in performance?

I know the plan we have coded now takes some time to load, so I'm guessing that would get worse.  But have you seen any overall slowness?

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 26, 2021

@Stacy Haller -

Nothing major on our end.  Anything with Dark Features implementation need team's focus.  

If my answer helped, please accept it when you have time...

Thanks.

Best, Joseph

0 votes
Bonnie Lopes April 26, 2021

@Stacy Haller ,

Here all all the limits as published for Server/DC

Note the following loading limits in a plan:

• Absolute issue limit: The number of issues you can load into a plan, which is 5000.
  • Hierarchy issue limit: The number of issues that can be displayed for each hierarchy level in the plan, which is 2000. This limit only applies when you're creating a plan; you will not be able to create a plan if the total number of issues exceeds 2000 for any of the hierarchy levels.
  • Project limit: The number of projects you can load into a plan, which is 100. This limit only applies when you're creating a plan; you will not be able to create a plan if the total number of projects in the plan exceeds 100.
  • Team limit: The number of teams you can access via shared team settings. The limit for the number of teams that a plan can directly display is 50. If you have more than 50 teams, some teams won't be displayed directly in the shared team settings page. To find teams that are not displaying, enter the team name in the search box.
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 26, 2021

@Bonnie Lopes -

Yes, that is the default setup.  However you can override it if needed in (DC env)

Best, Joseph

Like Dave likes this

@Joseph Chung Yin ,

Joseph, does this mean you can set these limits to any value in a DC env. So for instance if our could handle say Absolute issue limit: 10,000 issues and Hierarchy Issue Limit: 8,000 ,we could set these use the Dark feature?

Enable the "com.atlassian.portfolio.limits.LoadingLimitsConfigurability" dark feature
Access Dark Feature UI - https://your_site/secure/admin/SiteDarkFeatures!default.jspa
Go to /secure/PortfolioLoadingLimits.jspa
Modify the "Hierarchy issue limit"

You only mention modifying Hierarchy issue limit.  Can you also modify Absolute issue limit, Project Limit and Team Limit?

This would be critical for us, as we are needing to make our decision as to whether to go to Cloud, where would would also then need to invest in Jira Align.  Or move to DC, where we might be able to then just stick with Advanced roadmaps

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 26, 2021

@Bonnie Lopes -

The workaround solution only focuses on absolute issue limits and hierarchy issue limit.  We have not have a need to for project/team limits, so it will not give the options to update those out of the box limitations.

I suggest that you need to contact Atlassian Support directly to see if there are other dark features that can be enabled to change project/team limits.

I will be interested to find out too.

After we enabled the dark feature for Absolute issue limits/hierarchy issue limits, this what you will see in AR configuration for your reference -

2021-04-26_10-07-15.png

Best, Joseph

Like Dave likes this

@Joseph Chung Yin ,

Thank you, so it looks like just Team limit is missing currently.  I too, do not have a need for team limit increase currently, just wanted to be holistic in our communications, so others finding this answer would have full scope of answer.  Thanks again.  This was very helpful.

Like Joseph Chung Yin likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events