Linked stories not visible on Portfolio.

Neha Arora January 2, 2021

We are following two types of hierarchy our Project board - 

A. Initiative --> Epic --> Linked stories and 

B. Initiative --> Epics --> Issue 

When i create a Protfolio, I am only able to see only those stories which are following the hierarchy - A (i.e. Initiative --> Epics --> Issue) but not B. (i.e. Initiative --> Epic --> Linked stories). 

Can someone please help me understand what do i have to do so that i can see both type of linkages in Portfolio/Roadmap ? Really appreciate a response. 

Linking we are using is - 'Implemented by'

3 answers

0 votes
Paul O
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2021

Put simply:

A. Initiative --> Epic --> Linked stories   is NOT a hierarchy 

B. Initiative --> Epic --> Issues IN EPIC is a hierarchy

An issue linked to another issue is just that - regardless of whether the link is called 'blocked by', 'parent of', or 'duplicate of'.  It's best thinking of link types as labels, and a link as a flat relationship rather than a hierarchical one.

An issue that is the parent of another issue is a different beast: the parent is the sum of the children and from a planning perspective you may consider it the sum of the effort or time. The children are the elements that make up the parent and are intrinsic to the parent. 

You can include non-hierarchical relationships in your plan. (I usually do) and you can work with them on via the dependencies view rather than the planning view because that's what they are : plan dependencies

0 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 4, 2021

@Neha Arora -

In AR currently, it doesn't support linked issues in the plan scope view.  In our company, we also uses ALM Structure for Jira to supplement the AR plan's lack of this functionality.  We uses Structure to display the entire AR plan's issues (including linked issues).

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

0 votes
Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 3, 2021

Hm, as I see into my test instance you can't see it :( 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events