Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jira Plans not showing the Sub-tasks created within the Initiative

Sivakumar Vasagar March 9, 2022

I have a jira plan created having Hierarchy View listing from Initiative to Subtasks. Subtasks created within the Initiative Issue Type are not displaying in the Plans/Roadmap View. All Input Sources and Filters conditions are configured correctly but no luck in displaying the subtasks.

2 answers

0 votes
Karl Jackson January 30, 2023

I was having the same issue, but mine was filter related Screenshot 2023-01-30 133543.png

0 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 9, 2022

@Sivakumar Vasagar -

Welcome to the community.  Can you check to ensure that your plan's configuration didn't exclude the subtask as defined in the Exclusion Rules (via Plan's configuration the "..." symbol)?

I do have a case where I ended up and recreated the plan again, then issues are showing up properly.  However, my previous plan failed to display properly.

I would also recommend you to submit a formal support request with Atlassian Support (https://support.atlassian.com) for additional assistance.

Please let me know of what Atlassian Support team has to say about this issue.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

@Joseph Chung Yin thanks for your response. I do not have any conditions configured in the Exclusion Rules. Also i recreated the plan again with no exclusion conditions, still the sub tasks created within the Initiative Issue type does not show up in the Plan View.

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 9, 2022

@Sivakumar Vasagar -

Just found something interesting that the subtasks seem to show up only if one is viewing the "Basic View".

2022-03-09_22-10-48.png

I would recommend you to reach out to Atlassian support for additional assistance.  Please post back their response to your ask.

Best, Joseph

@Joseph Chung Yin - The view i have been accessing the plan is the Basic View. But the difference in my case is that the subtasks are created directly under the initiative Issue type as compared to your case of having the subtasks created under the Story Issue Type.

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 9, 2022

@Sivakumar Vasagar -

Here is another observation with Advanced Roadmap for Jira regarding to Initiative issue type.  You should confirm it with Atlassian Support team to see if my observation is correct.

Observation -

Initiative is a parent of Epic issue type and it allows you to create subtask under it in the UI.  However, the AR for Jira Issue Hierarchy configuration doesn't support subtask roll-up directly against the Initiative.  Therefore, the plan will not display subtasks associated with the Initiative issue.  Another question to you is that why you want to create subtask against Initiative issue type?  Again, Epic issues roll up to Initiative issues, thus the usage of subtasks seem to be incorrect.

2022-03-09_23-15-20.png

NOTE - If you are using Jira Server/Data Center env, the subtasks associated to an Initiative shows up properly but not in the Cloud env.  Don't know if there is a bug within the Cloud env or it is by design.

Hope this further assist your question.  As mentioned above, please confirm with Atlassian Support and post their replies to share with us in the community.

Best, Joseph

Sarosa Rosasa1234 January 6, 2023

None of the information was helpful. This sub-task probem has been going on for years and I wonder why it hasn't been solved so far. Or at least supply some discription on how to tackle the issue.

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 6, 2023

It's not a "problem" to most. 

Sub-tasks are entirely a fragment of their parent issue, and are pretty much useless when added to issues above the level of Epic (and, for most Epics to be honest).  Most people simply don't add sub-tasks to initiatives or epics.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events