Jira Initiative/s baseline example

Michael Gallagher April 12, 2021

Hey folks!  So, I'm interested in any article, opinion, or recommendation of what a properly defined Jira Initiative looks like.  Obviously one that ties the Upper Roadmap together with lower level Epics, but what are is the best construct with respect to granularity across: tie in to upper OKRs, how timebound, how might these tie in to both an infantile, or mature Product Release Strategy?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 25, 2021

Hi @Michael Gallagher,

I'm not sure that there is a single answer here and it also depends on whether you're using "Initiative" to mean "the hierarchy level above Epic" or how best to define a conceptual initiative (regardless of the level).

Our team typically uses initiatives to gather epics that are conceptually linked, but then we're using epic more like a feature (due to the current nomenclature restrictions in Jira).

I'm not sure if this helps or not (probably not!) but I thought a response might help get the discussion going.

Regards,

Dave

Michael Gallagher April 26, 2021

Thanks Dave!  You're the first to return an answer.  In reference to 'Initiative', we're in a Hierarchy of: Subtask -> Story ->Epic -> Initiative (at the Neighborhood level) -> Roadmap (at the Town level).  Am interested in the Jira construct of an Initiative, and how we might define an Initiative (description) with respect to being descript enough to aggregate Epics but not so granular that we have dozens of them across say a 1/4 (Q1, Q2 etcc)  Really trying to get a baseline understanding of the best way to develop Jira Initiatives that are value-add in reporting up through an organization, and how best they can be constructed to dovetail over reporting-durations and congruent with a Product Methodology.  i.e. R1.0 - R1.1 - R1.2 -> R2.0 - R2.1 etc..

Like Dave likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events