Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JQL query to find child issues of Initiative from another project

CEDRIC DEVAUX April 29, 2022

Hello, 

We setup hierarchy between projects in order to follow:

- In the high level project (like a parent project)  theme / initiative

- In the second level product projects  (like a child project) with Epic / Story

In the high level project we add Theme and initiative at the macro level and in the childs projects we decline Epics / Story, etc ... linked to Initiative from parent project

On Epics, we use parent link to declare his parent from parent project

We use advanced roadmap to follow all tickets from "parents" & "child" project but currently I see in advanced all issues from both projects even if issues from child project are not linked to Initiative from parent

I need to have a JQL to find all Epics linked to Initiative from parent project like this:

"Parent Link" in ("project=DCOM")

The project DCOM is the parent project

I find the JQL on this link but it doesn't work (https://valiantys.com/fr/blog/atlassian-administration-fr/jql-guide-recherche-jira/ )

If try with "Parent Link" in (DCOM-35), I have all child issues

Is there a query to list all Epics related to an initiative from another project?

Thank you! :)

1 answer

1 vote
Aaron Gage
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 29, 2022

I use this JQL,

issuefunction in portfolioParentsOf("key = DCOM-####")

This returns the ancestry of DCOM-####.  From there you could add on a pre-cursor function to instead return the descendants of the resulting ancestry like,

issuefunction in portfolioChildrenOf("issuefunction in portfolioParentsOf('key = DCOM-####')"

You could also populate the inner parenthetical with a more complex JQL like,

issuefunction in portfolioParentsOf("Project = DCOM and type = Epic")

but might overload your results.

All that said, I think the issuefunction call is part of the script runner plugin so without that I'm not sure how to do it.

CEDRIC DEVAUX May 4, 2022

Hi Aaron,

You're right issuefunction is provided by scriptrunner unfortunately, I don't have this apps on my instance :(

Like Aaron Gage likes this
Monica Morris April 4, 2024

@Aaron Gage Thank you for sharing this tip! I have a similar use case to Cedric and fortunately have Scriptrunner for Jira Cloud installed.

I need to show all the parents of Epics in Project A, even though those parents are in Project B.

By following your suggestion and using Scriptrunner Enhanced Search I was able to achieve the results I needed:

issueFunction in parentsOf("project = A AND issuetype = Epic", "all") AND project = B

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events