LaN

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 19, 2018

There really isn’t enough info here to offer assistance. Can you explain what you mean by tracking dependencies. 

Lakshmi Narasimhan June 19, 2018

1. A story is waiting on an external dependency like a vendor 

2. A story needs info from a different team 

3. A story can be built only when another story is built

so how to link a story to dependencies.. and how to see all the linked dependencies at one place

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 19, 2018

1. I would suggest two methods here:
    1. add a status to the workflow, e.g. "Hold" or "Waiting 3rd-party". in this scenario whoever is accountable w/in the team to 'manage' the vendor should be assigned the issue.
    2. create a sub-task to the issue for getting closure w/ vendor and assign the proper person.
  2. I would treat this the same as #1. they are simply an internal 3rd-party.
  3. Link the two stories. One will be "blocks" the other "is blocked by"

using the above you can then create reports (filters) and add to dashboard to show "blocked" issues.

Like walter.downs@mkcorp.com likes this
Ofer Prat June 20, 2018

I totally agree with this approach.

One small thing: how about using the flag to flag out items that are blocked (instead of adding a status)? These can be filtered and displayed in a project management dashboard, for example.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 20, 2018

Certainly a reasonable approach. I really haven’t used flagging much. The last time I looked I recall liking it but just haven’t fit it into my processes formally. The one caveat I would make here is if you have one issue blocking another I would certainly use the blocks link method. Note if you wanted to use a Kansan or scrum board the advantage of a status is you could have an “On Hold” column and map the status there making it very apparent.

Ofer Prat June 20, 2018

Makes sense.

Charlotte Watson December 17, 2018

Can you not add a new 'Issue Type' so that the dependency can be added outside of the Tasks and can be linked to the User Story/

Like Vishal Mittal likes this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 17, 2018

@Charlotte Watson, i'm not sure i'm following you here. If this is a new question you might want to treat it as such, creating a new question. If this is offering an alternative answer to the original question you might want to use the "Answer" button and add more details.

0 votes
PgM Innovations March 8, 2024

Post Removed...

0 votes
Lakshmi Narasimhan June 21, 2018

Thank you Everyone

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 8, 2024

hi @PgM Innovations , please be sure to review the Partner Guidelines

Like PgM Innovations likes this
PgM Innovations March 8, 2024

Thank you for the information. Have removed my comment!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events