Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues in Source Filter not displaying on Plan

Benji Purewal October 7, 2021

Trying to build a Plan for all Issues assigned to a particular set of individuals, so we can see a holistic view of the work.

Have built a JQL Filter along the lines of:

Assignee = X OR Reporter = X OR Epic = Y OR ParentEpic = Y

This returns all the relevant issues.

However in the Plan, a Subtask sometimes does not display if it has Parents missing from the above Filter output.

Essentially want to see the hierarchy of Issues wherever any single Issue in the hierarchy is Assigned to X, else show nothing.

2 answers

0 votes
Daniel Turczanski - __JQL Search Extensions
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 13, 2021

Hi

As you're on Jira Cloud, the correct answer is to get an app that provides JQL extensions you're looking for.

With standard JQL, you can only get a list of issues and export them to Excel for further processing. This works if you want to do a one-off analysis. Your use case is more dynamic than that.

Standard JQL doesn't easily allow it but you can quickly found using our professional indexing service:

After you install the app, you can simply search:

assignee=currentUser() OR issue in parentsOfIssuesInQueryRecursive("assignee=currentUser()")

The query supports Jira Advanced Roadmaps (Portfolio).

Check out the documentation for more examples.

I hope this helps!

Benji Purewal October 14, 2021

Thanks @Daniel Turczanski - __JQL Search Extensions 

I'll review your product offering and keep it in mind as an option if we're unable to resolve this issue via native Jira functionality.

Daniel Turczanski - __JQL Search Extensions
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 15, 2021

Sure, if you're able to work around your problem without an app, please let us know here.

0 votes
Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 7, 2021

Hi @Benji Purewal 

I can see how this could get tricky, just using JQL. especially trying to pull the whole hierarchy from a sub-task level.

Question: Is this work always going to be with a single Jira project? or could X be reporting and assigned to work across lots of different Jira projects??

What I'm thinking is, it might be easier to filter a broader dataset into the plan and then filter and create a view of the X related work.....that way the hierarchy would (or at least could) be there without the need for such complex JQL.

Benji Purewal October 7, 2021

Hi @Curt Holley 

X will be Reporting and Assigned work across multiple Jira Projects.

Yes I take your point about bringing in a wider Issue-set and then filtering, it's just that the wider Issue-set is very wide... We already have that, just trying to build a new view of the work.

What we ideally want is the inverse of:

issuekey in portfolioChildIssuesOf("Issues_Assigned_to_X")

I.e. go up the hierarchy from a Child, rather than down from a Parent.

Do you have any ideas why some of the Subtasks returned by the Filter are not displaying in the Plan? It is happening when the Parent Story of the Subtask is not Assigned to X. I would have expected them to appear as Issues without Parents at the bottom of the Plan, rather than not appear at all...

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events