Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue limit in Portfolio ?

Deleted user January 9, 2018

We have a SAFe programme running which has been set up using individual projects per scrum team, with a hierarchy of Capability > Feature > Story.  We're using Epics to represent Features.  Capability is a new issue type in JIRA.  Portfolio recgnises the hierarchy and this part works fine.

We have about 10 projects and have just completed planning for our first Programme Increment.  If I report on all epics and stories, the total number across the portfolio is over 2000.

Having added the projects into Portfolio, I've found that we can't drill down to user story level as Portfolio reports "The next level of hierarchy is currently disabled. There are too many issues to load them all individually. Please use the filters to narrow down the data set first"

This seems to be quite a major limitation as surely the idea of Portfolio is to bring all of the data together, and we've hit the limitation already in our first sprint! 

Questions are: What is the actual limit?  Any tips on getting around this?  Is this configurable? Surely there is not an expectation that stories are not viewed at Portfolio level?

Thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 9, 2018

Hi Harvey,

Take a look at the Communities post How to confirm/limit the number of issues into Portfolio for a bit more information.  In addition Live Plans set a hard loading limit.  The current default is 2000 issues.

As you start having more and more issues in your plan, interacting with Portfolio becomes slower.

JIRA Portfolio tries to load all the issues which match the current filter. If it sees that a certain hierarchy level has too many issues, it will disable that level.

The best way to work around this would be to apply a filter on something the issues have in common, such as the project or release. This will reduce the total number of tasks allowing epics to be expanded.

At this point, you can use filters narrow down the issues they want to work with and this will allow you be able to expand the epics.

Workaround

It is possible to change this value in Server. Though it should be noted that this can cause the UI to become slow and unresponsive. We won't be able to guarantee a seamless operation.

The instructions to change the limit are as follows:

1. Enable the "com.atlassian.portfolio.limits.LoadingLimitsConfigurability" dark feature
  2. Go to /secure/PortfolioLoadingLimits.jspa
  3. Modify the "Hierarchy issue limit"
  4. Refresh the plan page

Hopefully this helps.

Cheers,

Branden

Roi Fine
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 9, 2018

A description to the doc that describes the plan limitations can be found here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiraportfolioserver/creating-and-deleting-plans-802170502.html

Ariane Cannenburg December 5, 2018

In case of the server version you can change te limit but I understand that Portfolio in a cloud version has a maximum of 5000 issues in total for a plan? Is this correct?

I am not able to find any documentation about this...is there a workaround for this? 

Roi Fine
Atlassian Team
December 5, 2018

Hi Ariane,

The Cloud version has the 5000 issues limit as well. A way to workaround the issue limit is to reduce the number off issues you'd like to view in your plan. A good way to do that is either by creating filtered boards in Jira and source these boards to Portfolio or alternatively create custom issue filters in Jira and use these filters as sources for your plan. Check out this doc for more details: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiraportfoliocloud/getting-started-with-portfolio-for-jira-873926170.html

I hope that helps,

Roi | Product Manager Portfolio for Jira | Server/DC 

Alan Williams December 27, 2018

This is not an effective workaround for situations where you have already limited the plan to team boards.  By using the issue filter only, you would be removing the capacity and velocity planning functionality.  Large organizations need to be able to load more than 5000 issues.

I do understand though that organizations that are large enough to break the issue limit using just team boards are probably an edge case for Atlassian.

Never-the-less.....we still need to be able to load more than 5000 issues....otherwise we will have to look for a solution outside of Atlassian.  Even if that means taking a performance hit.

Like # people like this
Mark Green January 10, 2019

How do I enable the "com.atlassian.portfolio.limits.LoadingLimitsConfigurability" dark feature?

Mark Green January 10, 2019

Found the right link:

https://your_site/secure/admin/SiteDarkFeatures!default.jspa

Like Dave_Liao likes this
1 vote
Alan Williams January 2, 2019

By the way Harvey as a side note....we are also running SAFe with Atlassian.

I have found it easier to run 1 project per train....then have multiple team boards under each project.  It displays better in portfolio as an aggregate view.  Off-topic but I thought it'd be worth mentioning.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events