Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there something like Advanced Roadmaps for Dummies out there?

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 3, 2022

I'm trying to get answers to what I think are fairly basic questions about Advanced Roadmaps, but I can't really seem to get to them.  The documentation is really detailed but the high-level message isn't always there, so I'm looking for some basics and a way to answer some questions I have.

For example:

• How can a team get started with Advanced Roadmaps, especially a team that has not been using all of the Agile functionality?
    • For example, estimates missing, no time logged, etc
  • Why is it when I use a saved filter as a data source my Epics don't appear but when I use a board based on the same filter they do appear?
  • What information do I need to track capacity?
  • What is the best way to create teams based on functional groups that accounts for the fact that members of those groups are going to be split out across various plans?
  • What information is required for auto-scheduling to work? Specifically which fields need to be populated?
  • What are the requirements for using teams?  Are special permissions required?
  • Does an admin need to take action to make any of this information available to users, and if so... why?  Isn't this a part of Jira Software Premium?  (I ask because it seems like Team is required but essentially disabled to start)

These are just some of the questions I'm trying to get answered.  I'm looking for a quick start guide.  Like hey, you're new, you don't know where to start, and its OK!  Here's how you can create a plan, track capacity, and use autoscheduling.  Set up your data source then create a plan.  Yay!  OK now here's what you need to make all of this functionality work.

Does something like this exist? 

2 answers

2 votes
Rick Olson March 3, 2022

Excellent questions! I think we all need this.

I get bits and pieces of this by trial and error, and by pinging the support team folks. They, in turn, go check with the developers but sometimes the resulting answers don't make sense.

I think this is a weak area of theirs in terms of documentation. Or said differently, it is a great opportunity to help Jira Premium customers attain the functionality included in the premium price.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 3, 2022

Yes, and...perhaps a knowledgebase article on "Top 3 use cases for teams using advanced roadmaps, how to set them up, and what to watch-out for."

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 7, 2022

Unfortunately there are no answers.

0 votes
David Leal
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 12, 2022

This tutorial with several videos is helping me: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuAoMvvRllpSWZBj5Hbe1-tXplfwKwdtA

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 13, 2022

I wound up there, and it did help, but I have SO MANY questions.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events