Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to create an "Epic" equivalent with my own name?

Sean F_ February 15, 2022

I am unable to create an "Epic" hierarchy level equivalent called "Areas". 

3 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 15, 2022

@Sean F_ 

Using Advanced Roadmap for Jira, you cannot create an EPIC equivalent level issue type.  One can create new issue type(s) to serve as parent of EPIC. NOTE - One can even create multiple issue types and assign them to be a parent of EPIC or any level above EPIC.

What Atlassian Team mention is a upcoming function to allow us to rename EPIC to something else.  However, it is not replacing the level where EPIC is being used as - It is simply a renaming functionality.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Sean F_ February 16, 2022

Thank you, Joseph. Yes it does.

2 votes
Answer accepted
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 15, 2022

Hi @Sean F_

You only have two types of issue types in Jira

• Standard issue type
  • Sub-task issue type

Creating another entity similar to an Epic is not possible by default.

If you are working in Cloud and working with Advanced Roadmaps, you have an option of creating a parent issue type to Epic or hierarchy similar to Epic with Parent link option

Let me if it is cloud or server

Thanks,
Pramodh

Sean F_ February 16, 2022

Ok. Thanks very much.

4 votes
Rohan Swami
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 15, 2022

hi @Sean F_ we will be introducing a new feature soon that may address your use case: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-articles/Rename-epics-in-your-company-managed-projects/ba-p/1874726

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events