Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to use hierarchy, Epic -> Capability ->Feature -> Story in Adv. Roadmaps?

Liz Craig May 4, 2022

Using Jira 8.16 Data Center Advanced Roadmaps, added custom  hierarchy Epic -> Capability ->Feature -> Story.  

Want to create plans in AR using Project Capability and Feature. 

• Epic is linked to Capability by Child link 
  • Capability is linked to Epic by Parent Link, and uses Child link to Feature 
  • Feature is linked to Capability by Parent Link, and uses Issues Link to Story/subtasks

Is it possible to create a plan that uses Capability(Project) and Feature(Project) as sources and shows all Capabilities with it's Feature children?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 4, 2022

@Liz Craig -

Welcome to the community.  Unfortunately, your configuration will not work with AR for Jira.

Without AR for Jira - The standard hierarchy for Jira Software out of the box is 

Epic 

>>> Story (any other standard issue type, ie: Task, Bug etc) - roll up to Epic via Epic link.

>>>> Sub-task (any other subtask issue type etc) - roll up to Epic or any other standard issue types as subtask (child)

This out of the box cannot be changed.

Parent link roll up can only be done above EPIC.  So Story issues cannot roll up via this method to Feature.

It means that Feature/Capability issue types will be above Epic - where you rollup Epics to them via Parent link.  Your Story issue type will roll up to Epic via the standard Epic link out of the box.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Liz Craig May 5, 2022

Thank you for the information and your reply!  I have another question, that I hope you can provide guidance/insight.

I modified the AR hierarchy configuration the the following.  Even deleteing the Epic in the hierarchy did not solve the issue mentioned above.

1. Epic -> Feature
  2. Capability -> Capability
  3. Feature -> Feature
  4. Story -> All other standard issue types
  5. Subtasks -> All sub-task issue types

With the above hierarchy, I was able to create a plan with Epics and Capabilities (Project sources), displaying Epics & Capabilities.  Also allows expansion of Epics to show children (Capabilities).   

Why does this work for the Epics and Capabilities plan?  

TIA

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 5, 2022

Looking at your existing setup, it looks like you have just included 

Capability issue type + Feature issue type to roll up to Epic issues.

Based on this, all you are doing is adding other new standard issue types to roll-up to Epic.  The roll-up is done via Epic Link.

Can you take a screenshot of your issue hireachy configuration image and post it to this ask?

Best, Joseph

Liz Craig May 11, 2022

Hi Joseph, I am unable to provide a snapshot but did recreate what the Hierarchy configuration looks like in AR:

# Level Name          Jira Issue Types          Actions

1  Epic                      Feature                          Remove

2  Capability             Capability                      Remove

Feature                 Feature                     

Story                     All other standard issue types

Sub-task               All sub-task issue types

Hope this information helps.

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 11, 2022

@Liz Craig -

I see a problem with your setup.  One you should never remove "EPIC" (original location) prior you adjustment.

The original setup is

2022-05-11_7-39-25.png

One will create level above the EPIC.  EPIC issue type is a special issue type in Jira Software and should not be removed.  You need to reset it.  If "Feature" needs to roll up to EPIC, you don't have to declare it in the setup because it is a standard issue type.  It should be something like below

# Level Name          Jira Issue Types          Actions

1  Capability             Capability                      Remove

Epic                       Epic

Story                     All other standard issue types

Sub-task               All sub-task issue types

Did you renamed EPIC issue type?

Let's talk more...

Best, Joseph

Liz Craig May 12, 2022

Hi Joseph,

The hierarchy was set by previous team members, and using the "SAFe EPIC to Feature Translator for Jira" to rename the EPIC.  My understanding is that the goal was to align with SAFe methodology.

Not sure how the app works, but wonder if that is contributing to the issue?

TIA

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 12, 2022

@Liz Craig -

Thanks for the update.  Looking at the add-on - https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1218959/safe-epic-to-feature-translator-for-jira?tab=overview&hosting=datacenter

It seem it is a tool providing translation of name against the Epic issue type.  Thus, I don't know how it is impacting AR for Jira hierarchy configuration.  You should contact the vendor directly for support at this time.

In AR for Jira, EPIC setup should not changed in the hierarchy and you can add higher level parents above Epic only.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph 

Liz Craig May 12, 2022

Appreciate all your help and will research the plugin, to see if there is a possible impact.  Thank you!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events