Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to see the issues contributing to a Team's Capacity in Roadmaps

Chris O November 19, 2022

Currently when viewing capacity in a timeline, I can see the hours of a team's capacity (ex: 40/102 hours), but there is not an easy way to see which issues are contributing to that capacity. Ideally, I'd like to be able to hover over, or click the sprint and see what issues are making up the 40 hours...

Capacity.png

Capacity Insights (clicking one of the sprints/releases) Seems like it would be a great place to either list all the issues or provide some actual... insight... into what is taking up the capacity.But unfortunately, it doesn't.

Capacity Insights.png

Open to any solutions or suggestions someone might have included any type of JQL that could be whipped up to display such information.

Thanks for the help!

1 answer

0 votes
Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 20, 2022

Hi @Chris O 

Isn't is as simple as clicking open the content of team 2 (for example), ensuring you have the Sprint and Hours fields displayed and review from there....or am I missing something?

See my example below, ok I've got story points, but you get the idea...yeah?
You could even filter by the sprint in question so that all you see is the sprint date you want to review.
2022-11-21 09_52_40-Mobile Application Roadmap.png

Chris O November 22, 2022

Thanks for the reply, @Curt Holley

I understand I can expand out the rows below to see some extra details of issues contained. However, while it may provide the 'what', it's doesn't do super great at the 'how much'

For better or worse, when we are in this type of planning mode, we are looking at larger efforts across many months, so our projects are in much bigger chunks. And we have teams matrixed across projects.

So if I want to answer, "Can we start this project in February?", I may be able to see that a team has 4 possible things, I cannot see how much each may be contributing to their capacity.

Even if I wanted to do some priority trading to say, "We can't start something unless we finish or stop something", I'm struggling to provide the answers to the capacity questions.

Capacity_Insights_2.png

Now you may say, "You're doing it wrong" ... And I don't completely disagree, but our industry moves quite slowly in terms of process change, so for now as a whole, we are a very waterfall driven process with some groups trying to be a bit more iterative.

As this point in our "Software Development Journey" (TM :) ) I'd just like to be able to say, "this team is planned to work this much at this time on this thing"

(even though we all know the inaccuracies involved with hours that big for a duration that long)

Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 22, 2022

I understand what you are saying @Chris O 

Do the teams use the Time tracking functionality in Jira? As that seems like the place to start.
If the Remaining Estimate field is used, then you can add it into the plan via the "estimate" field (as long as the Plans estimation type is not set to Story points) and set the view to "Roll up - Other" and you will get something like the below...and it will be up to date data......as long as the people keep their issues "up-to-date" regarding time tracking. In the example below, the stories have the time recorded in them, but the total is rolled-up into the Epic (it will go higher if configured) so 9 days left on this Epic. then it becomes a question of spread across how many people (as add the Assignee field)
2022-11-23 15_26_41.png

Like Chris O likes this
Chris O January 17, 2023

Thanks @Curt Holley 

Yeah... we are using "Roll-up" functionality for the plan as we have gotten many teams to the point of creating Epics to break their work into some sort of feature sets. So we may have 3 Epics "Build X, Re-Configure Y, Train Z" and those hours roll up to the Initiative and than to our top-level Enterprise issue. So that's good.

I think the challenge comes in when a team is at 130% capacity for a period of time and one wants to reflexively use the plan to see, what is contributing to this "130%" .. it would be awesome to click a given week\month and see:

• Build X - 10 hours
  • Re-Configure Y - 22 hours
  • Train Z - 15 hours
  • Other Thing A - 44 hours
  • Another Thing B - 30 hours

This would allow some quick, "why are we doing those things now? Let's re-prioritize"

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events