Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to create custom Issue-type from context menu

Andreas Sehr December 1, 2020

We would like to create custom issue types (Theme, Area, Initive etc) from the context menu in Advanced Roadmaps. Is this possible?

Create issue context menu.PNG

Today it only displays the default Jira-types, epic and story.

/Andreas

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andreas Sehr December 18, 2020

The text of the items on the context menu and create issue drop down is managed on the Hierarchy  Levels admin page (https://<instance>/secure/PortfolioHierarchy.jspa)

JIra levels.PNGLevel Name will then be the new item names on the different create issue menus.    Context menu.PNGCreate issue.PNG

I would prefer to have this setting per project instead of spanning over the entire server. The hierarchy is probably good to have one instance of so you can combine issues from different projects. But since a couple of our projects have a different issue setup the items in the menu make no sense.

/Andreas

0 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 1, 2020

Hi @Andreas Sehr,

Yes and no. It depends where you are in the hierarchy.

You rightfully call the menu the context menu. In your screenshot, you are accessing the context menu of an Epic. In that context, you are able to create either an Epic (at the same level you are at) or a story (below the current epic). The other issue types are not available here, as they are higher up and the context is no longer clear.

If you try to create an issue from the context menu when you are at e.g. the initiative level, you will see the context is different. The following example is one at initiative level:

Screenshot 2020-12-01 at 16.22.31.png

However, at the top of your issue list you will find another create issue button. You can create any issue type there, as you can see here:

Screenshot 2020-12-01 at 16.17.03.png

Andreas Sehr December 14, 2020

Hi @Walter Buggenhout!

Thank you for your answer. I didn't get any notification about this but I stumbled upon it when going through our current issues.

This was reported by one of our test users and the odd thing is that we have disabled the Epic and Story task in the project he use.
We use Tasks instead of Story and a custom issue type called Area instead of Epic, and we would like to see those issue types on the context menu instead.

Currently we have a break in our trial license over Christmas but I will have another look in January. 

/Andreas

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events