Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to combine multiple projects in a roadmap?

Halil Senturk
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 15, 2020

Hello everyone,

This question might be basic but I'm new to the Atlassian community. Our team has started using Jira for agile method recently. We work on several projects simultaneously and these projects can either be agile or classic waterfall. So we use different projects and filter them into a multiple project board for sprint planning. On the other hand, we need a roadmap for the future possible project(s).

I have read some documents about filtering in roadmaps. It seems like it is possible but I would be happy to hear from someone who has ever had similar experience. 

Kind regards.

Halil

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
chris.reyes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 15, 2020

Yes.  It definitely is possible to do in advanced roadmaps.  We're doing 5 different teams and 3 different products all at various stages of development.  Roadmaps is helping us to prioritize across those projects and the capacity planning is helping us to understand when things will get accomplished (if it's not waterfall).

We are using a combination of story points for SW and straight timeline for Waterfall (but not using working hours).  I'm not sure if you can do both there. 

There are definitely limitations to advanced roadmaps and some concepts that are hard to get your head around without seeing them work in the SW.  I highly recommend making a copy of a couple projects, sticking them into a plan that you can experiment with, and seeing how those things work.  The one that gets everyone is "Resolution" -make sure it is marked as done when you close an issue or it disappears. Also, nothing gets moved automatically.  If you don't finish something, Roadmaps doesn't automatically extend anything.  They expect you to use automated scheduling but I got burned one time and I just need to bite the bullet and use it again.

As far as filtering, they do not filter by custom fields.  You can do it by project, team, labels most importantly, and a few others.  This has made it difficult.  I personally hate labels for anything beyond temporary. But, I have used automation to turn my custom fields into "labels" so that I can filter on those.  For example, I have milestones as a custom field so that we are standardized, but then I have automation to turn a milestone into a label. That way, I can filter by that milestone across my projects.

Good luck and ask questions.  

Angus Russell
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 15, 2020

Great answer!

As far as filtering by custom fields, that functionality is being rolled out very soon. Hopefully that makes your life a little easier :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events