Is it possible for multiple users to simultaneously edit a plan in Jira Advanced Roadmaps?

Ron Caylor July 28, 2021

We have multiple contributors to our long range planning process.  Is it possible for multiple users to simultaneously edit a plan in Jira Advanced Roadmaps?  

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 28, 2021

Yes, that can be done. It just pays to have a plan (no pun intended) about who and when people update the changes back to Jira.

Ron Caylor July 29, 2021

Thank you for the confirmation.  Other than coordinating updates back to Jira, any other caveats we should be aware of?  For example, if two users are making updates to the same plan at the same time, how do they see each others changes?   Simply do a refresh on the page?  Also, what should we expect if two users make different edits to the same issue at the same time?

Like Aaron Gage likes this
Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 29, 2021

Good questions! and TBH I'm not sure of the answers as I/we have never run into any issues.

Here are my observations from PI planning (remotely) using a single plan, but with multiple views.

We had, a plan with a "Master view" (issue source = entire (newish) project).

We have "team" filtered views for 5 different teams.

Most editing was being done via the team filtered views and being pumped back into Jira regularly (but n an uncoordinated way).

I seem to recall noticing when 2 of us were editing the same view at the same time and we were both able to update back to JIRA independently.

It was around this time I started to wonder/worry how all this updating was going to play out.....Nothing am aware of went wrong (and trust me, if something odd occurred or data was lost, it would be me that people come to) 

My hunch with the 2 people updating the same issue scenario is: 

If person 1 saves back to jira, then later person 2 saves back to Jira....person 1's updates (if the same fields as person 2) would be overwritten by Person 2. So this is where the coordination comes in to play. In other words, Who is updating what, and when!

My advice....do a controlled experiment with some colleagues to see if you can break it. Learn by what you observe and create a plan of attack from there. Based on your likely scenarios and any pressure (or break) points found.

Hope this helps?

Good luck!!

Like # people like this
Eddie Meardon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 29, 2021

Hey @Ron Caylor

To piggyback off of @Curt Holley's comment, there's a little bit of information on this in the Advanced Roadmaps documentation (Modify a view - "Simultaneous edits" under Save your view). It mostly deals with saving changes made my multiple users at the same time. 

Hope this helps!

Eddie

Like # people like this
Ron Caylor July 30, 2021

@Curt Holley  and @Eddie Meardon

Thank you both.  While details of how simultaneous edits will be merged and made available to all parties will require some experimentation, it is good to know that the tool supports it.

Like Aaron Gage likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events