Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is a dependent issue scheduled one day later automatically?

Sascha Heckelei February 2, 2018

I have an issue A which has an estimate of 2 hours and and issue B which has an estimate of 2 hours. The team the work is connected to has enough capacity to do the work.

When I add an dependency (Issue B is depependent on Issue A), Issue B is scheduled ONE DAY LATER (visually "behind on the same level" as Issue A), although there should be enough capacity for Issue B on the day where Issue A is scheduled I would have assumed (which would mean for me a visual representaton "below" Issue A on the same day.)

Can somebody explain this behaviour? Does a dependency always mean, the issue can only be started the next day? Or what am I missing?

Thanks for your help!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Thomas
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 4, 2018

Hi @Sascha Heckelei,

By default dependencies must happen on a different time unit (Different sprint for Scrum teams, different day for Kanban teams).

The main reason is that Portfolio does not schedule below that time unit, so as far as Portfolio is concerned this issue won't be done until the end of the day which means dependent items can only start as early as the next day.

You can change this behavior in your plan configuration -> Scheduling -> Dependent story constraint

You can read more about it in the docs here

Cheers,

Thomas

Sascha Heckelei February 12, 2018

Thanks @Thomas for the clarification! 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events