Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Implement feature to convert story points to hours in new UI

Ivo_de_Vries December 3, 2019

In the old user interface I am able to set a conversion rate for story points to hours per data source. This we need because we are using a company wide portfolio plan that includes multiple teams with each their own agreement on what a story point is worth and some teams that do not work with story points but hours.

Since the new UI has been released, this feature is missing which prevents me from switching to the new approach and make use of all the new improvements. 

If you will not bring this feature back, should I be using Portfolio differently (e.g. a different Plan per team and a Program to get the entire overview?). I think this won't work for us as there are interdependencies in between teams but any suggestion is very welcome. 

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 3, 2019

I don't think you will see this coming back - story points are not hours.  They're not any simple multiplier of hours.  I've seen 1SP take two days and 8SPs take 30 minutes.  Their relative complexities were right, the length of time to close them was very very different.

Ivo_de_Vries December 4, 2019

Ok fair answer as that is generally the case anywhere, especially with each team having their 'standards' for assigning story points to certain tasks. We were trying to create a company wide portfolio (Business + IT departments) but maybe this is too ambitious :)

Question I have then is:

How will a portfolio plan with multiple teams work then if each team has their own way of story pointing? I assume each team will have to work with SP's and a (scrum) board as an issue source so that the velocity from each team is used to determine how long each 'bar' should be in the plan schedule?

E.g. if we have an issue with 10SPs and a team 1 and a team 2. Team 1 has double the velocity of team 2. If this issue is reassigned from team 1 to team 2, I would expect that the visualised bar (with start, end and duration) will also become twice as long whilst still having the same amount of story points?

Trying to figure out how this will work in practice so any help is very welcome! 

Crystelle S
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 18, 2019

If your teams are estimating separately then wouldn't it stand to reason that upon reassignment the new team would estimate the work for inclusion in your plan? also comparing velocity across teams is dangerous. Velocity is a team-centric planning tool. You can't plan how long it will take a team to complete work based on another team's estimate and velocity.... I think you are going to find many gaps with the way you are configuring this...

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events