Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to write a filter to show the Initiative and all epics and stories underneath

Tim McMonigle May 12, 2020

There are two individual boards/teams working on the same project.  I have created a new board that I'd like to just pull out only stories and epics under an Initiative I created that should only display epics and stories underneath that Initiative.

I can pull the Initiative in, but don't know how to structure the filter to pull in epics/stories underneath it.

1 answer

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Sachin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 12, 2020

Hello Tim,

Try this JQL : issuekey in childIssuesOf("INIT-007")

The above JQL will return all child issues below INIT-007, and not just the child issues at the epic hierarchy level. This means all the epic ,stories and subtasks will be returned.

You can read more here - Searching for issues using Portfolio details

Best,
Sachin.

That was perfect Sachin.  Epics and Stories are now showing.  I'm also trying to show these in the Portfolio and the Story Mapping view, and this filter will definitely help.

Thanks!

Sachin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 12, 2020

Tim, glad to hear that! Can you accept my answer so it could help others as well! 

Hi Sachin...hoping to add one more question to my question above, as it worked on one board, but not the other where there are two boards involved. 

I have the following filter to pull epics and stories from two different boards, using your filter, where TRA and SPD are the two Projects (different boards) and tra-1655 is the Initiative I'm trying to pull all stories/epics from.  It isn't pulling anything back, even though I know there are epics and stories under that initiative on the TRA board.

project in (TRA, SPD) AND issuekey in childIssuesOf("tra-1655") ORDER BY Rank ASC

Any ideas?

Sachin
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 12, 2020

Hey Tim, are you using the same filter on two different boards on those two different projects, and can you tell me which board is pulling the issues and which isn't ? 

I am an admin on my board, and that is where I've entered some test stories that should have been displayed with the filter above.  Neither board's stories are being displayed on the new third board.

Sachin
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 12, 2020

If the above JQL is giving you the results then there shouldn't be any problem of those issues getting pulled onto your board,. However, can you check the "unmapped statuses" from you board --> configure --> columns and map them to the correct columns. 

Tim McMonigle May 13, 2020

The childIssuesOf worked on one my boards. Where it is not working is when I'm trying to bring issues from two different boards/two different projects into a third board so it only displays work from a single Initiative. Here is my query:

project in (TRA, SPD) AND issuekey in childIssuesOf("tra-1655") ORDER BY Rank ASC

Where TRA and SPD are two separate projects and tra-1655 is the initiative I'm trying to get all epics and stories to display on the third board. It just gives me this message - Unable to find an issue with matching key tra-1655.

Tim McMonigle May 14, 2020

Figured it out...the Initiative ID has to be all caps.  When I changed it to TRA-1655, it started to work.

Thanks for all of your help...really appreciate it!

christopher.fry@faa.gov May 21, 2020

@Tim McMonigle Did this filter show in portfolio for you.  I used the filter to pull issues from an initiative and it works great in Jira, but when I use the same filter to build a plan in Portfolio for Jira, only the epics show up...no stories (or any standard-issue types).

r619090 May 26, 2022

I tried this and it wouldn't work. However, issuekey in portfolioChildIssuesOf worked for me. 

Like # people like this
Singh, Saddamjit
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 8, 2024

But this hides Initiative in roadmap and show only epics 

Cristina
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 2, 2024

Hello. I have the same issue: I have created a backlog structure based on Program Epics, Epics, Features, Tasks and Sub-tasks and I need a filter to show all the children of that program epic named TLS-1. I tried issuekey in childIssuesOf("TLS-1") but the function childIssuesOf doesn't exist. How else coudl I create this filter?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events