How to trace the date Auto schedule populated

Ollie Reid March 24, 2021

Hi,

I'm having trouble understanding the date auto schedule is populating in start date.  For instance I have an issue that is already "In Review" status, but after clearing the dates of the story and the parent epic the auto populated date is still set to two weeks in the future.

I do have the Plan set up to Sequential Dependent

Is there any tooling to see why Plans suggested that date?

Jira Version: v8.8.0

1 answer

0 votes
Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 24, 2021

Hi @Ollie Reid

Is your "In Review" status part of the "In Progress" status category? If so, the auto-scheduler is going to consider that there is work remaining and will schedule time based on the estimate assigned to it so that it can be completed.

Regards,

Dave

Ollie Reid March 24, 2021

Hi Dave,

thanks.  But the story is "In Progress", wouldn't it update the Start Date to a date not to weeks into the future? "In Review" is its on status in our Kanban board.

Like Dave likes this
Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 24, 2021

Hi @Ollie Reid,

That's a fair point, I wasn't really justifying the behaviour but rather just trying to offer an explanation of why it's happening. Without having access to your plan I'm wondering if the scheduling algorithm is pushing the date back because of other work?

I don't think that the scheduling algorithm works on the understanding that if a piece of work has been started it absolutely has to be finished before scheduling other work.

However, I do agree that this is potentially confusing here. One of the differences in behaviour between auto-scheduling for Kanban and Scrum is that issues in the active sprint (i.e. those most likely to be in progress or about to be in progress) are not adjusted. With Kanban there's not really that same notion of a time-boxed iteration to lean on.

This is good feedback though and I appreciate you sharing it and I'll feed this back to the product management team.

Regards,

Dave 

Ollie Reid March 25, 2021

Thanks @Dave 

Like Dave likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events