How to prevent new epics/stories from automatically being added to portfolio plan

Jasper van de Peppel October 22, 2017

When setting up a new portfolio plan over 4 different teams (projects), I've created a new cross-project release and added some epics for each team which are needed for this release. Now, the teams can add stories during refinement and so on.

When I took a look at the scope of this plan a week later, I suddenly see new epics and stories in the scope of this plan. I see no link to releases, initiatives or anything else, other than these are created in the projects of the teams in this plan. Is there any way to prevent this? 

2 answers

0 votes
Thomas
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 7, 2018

Hi @Jasper van de Peppel,

Portfolio plans issue sources can really be summarized as a JQL filter and, as you noticed, new issues appearing in the instance might match the filter. If you want to look at a very specific scope that does not include epic created later on I would suggest using JQL filter issue source that filters out also based on creation date and potentially on parent / epic link.

If you are on Portfolio for Jira server I would also consider filtering using the childIssuesOf JQL function.

Cheers,

Thomas

Dan Silver July 26, 2018

Hi @Thomas -- is there a plan to fix this?  The user experience is *painful*.

Thomas
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 29, 2018

Hi @Dan Silver,

I'd suggest upvoting and sharing your use case on the related feature suggestion here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JPOSERVER-1706

Cheers,

Thomas

German Di Napoli November 11, 2020

@Thomas how we can use JQL filter in Jira Portfilio? When you define a plan I didn't see any option and only can select the project, releases, etc

Thomas
Atlassian Team
November 11, 2020

Hi @German Di Napoli

The actual issue sources of Advanced Roadmaps (aka Portfolio) can be a combination of Projects, Boards (which are backed by a JQL filter), and JQL Filters.

You can have a look at this video tutorial for some more details on this or the more complete product documentation.

When it comes to doing some Additional filtering on top of existing issue sources, we provide many in-plan filters but JQL is not currently available.

We are currently looking at ways to improve our plan creation experience which would introduce new ways to filter upfront.

Cheers,

Thomas

0 votes
Brian Dawson March 6, 2018

I'm having the same problem? did this ever get resolved? Or did you find a work around?

Jasper van de Peppel March 6, 2018

Nope, no solution found. Portfolio is made to 'help' you in certain ways apparently and if your company's way of working or organizing work doesn't comply to that, you're out of luck.

Brian Dawson March 7, 2018

Thanks @Jasper van de Peppel. Yes it's a painful experince to have to constantly remove epics that get added for other initiatives. I may need to consider a different solution. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events