How to make a Jira Portfolio filter global?

Lyle Hayhurst August 30, 2019

Hi, I've got 6 Portfolio plans that use filter by label to display the cards related to that plan.

It seems the filters are only being applied at a per-user basis: when I log in, the filters are applied, but when another team member logs in, the filter is not applied, and they have to manually apply the filters to each of the 6 plans in order to get the same view as me.

Is there a way to have the filters I've set for each plan to be applied for all users, so that when they hit any of the 6 plan pages, the filter has already been pre-applied for them?

ty!

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 1, 2019

Hi, I'm a team leader for Portfolio for Jira Server.

This is something that we're going to be resolving in a future release portfolio. At the moment the view settings (including filters) are only persisted to local storage each browser. In the future it will be possible to create a number of views each plan (including filters applied for the view), and quickly switch between them.

Unfortunately I'm not able to commit to any dates for when this feature will be available. However I can tell you that it's something working on at the moment.

Regards,

Dave

Roberto L
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 12, 2019

@Dave 

Hey Dave, 

Not 100% related to the above question but is there a reason why I cannot add the Portfolio "Team" field to Rich Filters in JIRA?

-Roberto

Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 12, 2019

Hi @Roberto Luces ,

To be honest I'm not very familiar with the Rich Filters for Jira Dashboards plugin (I'm assuming this is what you're referring to). However, you might be interested to know that in 3.10.0 of Portfolio that we released this week we've added support for the Portfolio team field to be included in Jira gadgets - see our release notes here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiraportfolio/portfolio-for-jira-3-10-release-notes-976752106.html

This had been a limitation for some time and hopefully this should also resolve the problem with Rich Filters - but I honestly don't know, so would be grateful if you could try it out and let me know,

Regards,

Dave

0 votes
Lyle Hayhurst September 3, 2019

Hi Dave,

Thanks for replying, and for the good news that you are working on it! Are there any intermediary hacks one can do to make this easier? For example, perhaps append arguments to the url string to auto-apply the label filter? I'm in the process of rolling out my 6 plans to the entire company, so anything that can make this easier would be appreciated.

For the view settings, one peculiar thing  I've noticed with having a filter applied to the view is that if you create new tickets using the planning tool, those tickets will immediately disappear off of the plan view when you save your changes (since they don't have any labels).  I mention this as it is a bit confusing and awkward (you have to go find the item you created via search, set the labels, and then re-place the card where you placed it from the Plan view -- pretty un-intuitive).

Love the tool, keep up the great work.

Cheers!

Dave
Atlassian Team
September 3, 2019

Hi Lyle,

Thanks to the feedback, much appreciated.

One option is to use the share button to create a shareable link to the plan. This link will include a URL request parameter the maps to the view configuration that there are shared (including the filters set). The only limitation of this is that when you open the URL you will see a read only version of the plan - however that might be sufficient for your needs.

We're investigating the best way of handling creation of new issues when filters are applied. Unfortunately it's not a simple problem to resolve, because we can't always automatically set values to match the applied filters. Filters are treated as an OR condition so with multiple filters values set we wouldn't know which value to automatically set when only single options allowed. Similarly it might be impossible to set the value to match the filter when creating issues in some conditions - for example if you're filtering for an issue type of bug and you're creating an issue of type story. The simplest solution might be simply to show a warning message with an option to clear the filters so that you can quickly see the new issue again - I'd be interested to know if you would consider this is satisfactory resolution to the problem or not?

Many thanks,

Dave

Like Lyle Hayhurst likes this
Lyle Hayhurst September 19, 2019

Hi! My apologies for the late reply :-) 

Share button with pre-configured filters would work; anyone who's doing editing should be able to sort it out.

RE: handling creation of new issues when filters are applied -- yeah, seems tricky!! The warning to clear is a good hacky workaroud, but IMO its just that (a hacky workaround). Spitballing here:  what about giving the user a way to pre-enter in labels to the ticket, or inherit the labels of any of its a parents? This won't help with Initiatives, but it will help with epics, stories, and subtasks. 

Cheers

Dave
Atlassian Team
September 22, 2019

Thanks @Lyle Hayhurst - we looked into various options for pre-entering data to assist with matching filters and that might be something we implement in the longer term. But for now our short term solution is going to be to provide a warning. Unfortunately it's always a case of weighing up the relative priority and associated effort against other features that we need to deliver and comparing the value. So hopefully we'll iterate on this in the future, but the immediate objective is to at least give the user some indication of what is happening.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events