Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

How to make Parent Link mandatory in Epics?

Hi,

I have configured the portfolio hierarchy in Jira to set initiatives are parents of epics.

I have also enabled the Parent Link (locked) field in Epic screen. It is automatically populated with Initiatives.

I want to make the Parent Link field mandatory. How can I do it?

Please help. My hierarchy configuration looks as below:

Thanks

image.png

1 answer

You cannot make Parent Link a mandatory field with Field Configuration but what you can do is, add a validator to check if Parent Link field has a value or not during a transition.

I've added a validator from Create Issue to Open transition.

Sadly, you're not going to get the red asterisk to show end-users that the field is required but you can add an error message to the validator which is shown if the user tries to create an Epic without Parent Link.

Again the downside of the error message is that its displayed on top of the Create Issue screen of your Epic and if the screen is long, you won't see the error unless you scroll up to see it :/.

Hopefully this helps your or others googling the same question!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Jira Service Management

Jira Service Management Documentation Opportunities

Hello everyone, Hope everyone is safe! A few months ago we posted an article sharing all the new articles and documentation that we, the AMER Jira Service Management team created. As mentioned ...

228 views 0 6
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you