Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make Auto-schedule respect the tasks estimates?

Ivan Klochkov July 3, 2022

Problem: Auto-schedule doesn't respect tasks estimates and not using available sprint capacity making the team not fully loaded.

I would like Auto-schedule to plan the tasks considering their estimation, team/sprint capacity and all the dependencies. So, I've created the plan for a dummy company-managed Scrum project like below.

1.png

Also, I've set up the team and project scheduling settings accordingly:2.png

3.png

However, it looks like Auto-schedule feature doesn't taking into account neither sprint/team capacity, nor the existing date values despite of selecting "Empty values only" for Sprint, Releases and Teams.

As a result, it suggests a plan of 6 sprints length instead of 1 sprint according to tasks estimates.

5.png

For better understanding here's how I expect the plan to look like (done manually):

6.png

1 answer

0 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 3, 2022

Hi @Ivan Klochkov,

There are many factors playing with the auto-scheduler function of advanced roadmaps. It is designed to take estimates and team capacity into account, but many other factors play a role as well.

This support article has a decent overview of all the things that impact the scheduler. There may be some clues in there as to why your suggested schedule comes out the way it does.

Hope this helps!

Ivan Klochkov July 4, 2022

Hi @Walter Buggenhout

Thanks for the hint! I've studied the article you had mentioned above, but it didn't help much as it doesn't explain how exactly the other factors affect the Auto-schedule logic.

I guess the problem lies somewhere in the logic of setting the duration of the task. For some reason, it reserves the entire duration of the sprint without paying attention to the estimate.

So, is there a setting that will allow Auto-schedule to include dependent tasks into one sprint, or it's a bug that needs to be reported?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events