Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to give a JQL subquery inside ParentIssuesOf or ChildIssuesOf

Filipe Nascimento January 31, 2019

Hi,

I am trying to run a JQL query for Portfolio where I need to see all child issues of a Campaign for which the user story contains a Label = 'ABC'. That means that I would like to add a filder to the childIssuesOf so that when we reach the user story level, if that user story contains a Label = 'ABC' then return the user story and all its parents.

I've tried to do a composed query with childIssuesOf and ParentIssuesOf but they don't accept a query as an argument. I'd like to do something like:

key in ParentIssuesOf(key in childIssuesOf("JIRA-123") AND labels = 'ABC')

the problem is that ParentIssuesOf only accepts an Issue or a List of issues and it doesn't seem to accept a query as an argument.

So how can we pass a JQL subquery to ParentIssuesOf or ChildIssuesOf?

thank you!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 1, 2019

Hi Felipe,

Natively you won't be able to nest this value as covered in these feature requests:

You will want to look into the scripted JQL functions of ScriptRunner "portfolioParentsOf()" and "portfolioChildrenOf()" to pass in a subquery for the search.

The last comment of the JPO feature request gives a really good example on the full query string combinations to use via ScriptRunner

Regards,
Earl

Filipe Nascimento February 4, 2019

Thank you Earl. I managed to achieve it with ScriptRunner. Thank you.

Like # people like this
Sneha June 21, 2020

How did you achieve this with ScriptRunner please? Do you mind sharing the queries? Also, is ScriptRunner a plugin to be added?

In the example given JPO features - 

We can achieve this using four filters in Scriptrunner's JQL functions, but it'd be great if Portfolio's JQL could handle it in one.

JQL Via Scriptrunner

Filter 1 (Get Epics linked to parent Initiatives) - issueFunction in portfolioChildrenOf("project = ABC")

Filter 2 (Get Stories linked to those Epics) - issueFunction in linkedIssuesOfAll ("Filter 1")

How do you assign "Filter 1" to a query?

--------

this is what I am trying to do ..

This is my list of all Initiatives, which returns a list of 17 initiatives :
"Value Stream" = "name_of_vs" AND "IOP Baseline" in ("FY21 IOP Baseline") 

I then want to find all epics & stories linked to ALL the initiatives.

Help please :)

Kannan Sundaram July 30, 2020

issueFunction in issuesInEpics("project = "XXX" AND Issuetype = "EPIC" AND issuekey in portfolioChildIssuesOf("XXXX-XXX")") OR

issuekey in portfolioChildIssuesOf(XXXX-XX) AND issuetype not in (EPIC, Sub-task) AND status != cancelled ORDER BY Rank OR

issuekey in portfolioChildIssuesOf("XXXX-XX")

Like # people like this
Zhao, Frank April 5, 2021

issueFunction in portfolioChildrenOf() is not supported in Jira cloud, any suggestions for alternative queries? 

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events