Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to generate stakeholder-friendly reports in Jira Portfolio?

Ran Zaksh January 25, 2015

I'd like to use JIRA portfolio to directly communicate the roadmap to various stakeholders. For that a few elements are missing, and I'd be happy to have them:

Changes to reporting views

1. Ability to see the "compact" milestone/release view also as part of the reporting section and not just as split screen with the backlog. This view is very useful for business stakeholders.
  2. Show stream names directly on the screen w/o need to use tooltip (both for convenience and for the ability to take a screenshot)
  3. Release names can be long and run over each other, or even happen on the same date. Please use text wrapping and add also another line if needed. Same goes to initiative / epic names in the relevant views.
  4. Show dependencies on epics view.
  5. Add a view that shows Initiatives and epics together (Initiatives as buckets of epics).
  6. Ability to filter by initiative (Initiative = project, need to focus on one project and see only that).

Defining / using preset reports

1. (Basic must have) Ability to generate a specific URL per view that can be saved as preset view and/or shared via email. Can't expect each stakeholder to re-create the report every time.
  2. (Advanced) Export a series of preset reports to ppt / google slides / pdf / confluence page which is could be updated by one click / live to generate all the preset reports.

Thanks

Ran

2 answers

0 votes
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 21, 2020

It may not be the simplest thing to do, but you could consider creating a custom PDF template for the Better PDF Exporter.

As the app integrates with Portfolio, nothing stops you from creating the exact report that you need then share the resulted PDF document with your stakeholders.

Here is a short video that demonstrates how the default template exports Portfolio data: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEqRikB5jTQ&feature=youtu.be&autoplay=1

(Discl.: it's a paid app and I'm a developer working on it.)

0 votes
Ryan Porter June 9, 2015

I strongly agree with your deep link suggestion:

(Basic must have) Ability to generate a specific URL per view that can be saved as preset view and/or shared via email.

JIRA Portfolio is an amazing little tool, but there is no way to report the results either upward to stakeholders or downward to team members.  The whole point of this thing is to help me to bridge the gap between the VPs above me and my scrum and kanban teams, right?  So then how am I supposed to communicate the plans from JIRA Portfolio to those VPs above me? And how am I supposed to communicate the schedules that it generates to the teams who are supposed to do the work?

I love this tool, I'm just baffled by the enormous parts that are missing.  What's the point of a tool that generates output that you can't share with people?  Are my VPs and also the individual workers supposed to go into Portfolio and interact with the scheduling UI?  That's never going to work.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events