Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to exclude initiatives from the backlog without amending the filter query?

Danielle Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 28, 2021

We've instituted Advanced Roadmaps and are very excited about all the possibilities it holds for our roadmaps and planning. However, we cannot see how to remove the initiatives from the backlog (it clutters up our view), without amending the filter query to include the JQL condition issuetype != initiative

Is there any way to treat initiatives (and themes if we use them in the future as another level of hierarchy) similarly to the epics view on a scrum (or scrumban) backlog?

3 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Joe Lagana-Jackson September 28, 2021

Hi,

To avoid this problem, I created a separate project in Jira, called PLAN, to include all "higher level" custom issue types that aren't included in sprints. This was actually a recommendation in the old Portfolio for Jira documentation, I believe.

In the Plan, I bring in both the PLAN project and the actual project being tracked.

This approach gives the added benefit of having all initiatives (a collection of epics) centralized in one project.

I hope this helps.

Joe

Daniel Turczanski - __JQL Search Extensions
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 14, 2021

A lot of project managers end up using our JQL function childrenOfIssuesInQueryRecursive in a setup like that.

Just keep in mind it's there once you need it.

Like Danielle Green likes this
0 votes
Answer accepted
Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 28, 2021

I/we do the same as what @Joe Lagana-Jackson has suggested.

This centralised approach to the high level "Initiatives" also makes it easy for senior leaders to find them and puts them all in the same backlog/funnel.

I encourage it as the best, scalable option.

0 votes
Emma Ysebaert
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 13, 2021

Hi Dani,

You can achieve this within Advanced Roadmaps in a few different ways:

1. You could configure your plan to exclude the Initiative issue type (configure -> exclusion rules):

Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 11.18.52 am.png

2. You could visually remove these from your timeline using the hierarchy filter (go to filters -> select the level below initiative as the from hierarchy level):

Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 11.21.03 am.png

Happy planning!

Emma

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events