How to correctly build the backlog, streams and versions and set priorities in Jira Portfolio?

Ran Zaksh January 25, 2015

My plan is rather complex.

As we defined them, initiatives are typically a capability / feature that is to be developed into our system, sometimes touching many areas thus involving a few development teams. I'd like to manage each initiative as a project with a project owner.

We therefore have ~30 initiatives on our yearly roadmap, each with 5-10 epics, allocated across ~8-10 teams based on the teams' functional product focus. Typically an initiative is allocated across a few teams, where an epic is allocated to a team. There will be dependencies within initiatives and also between epics and stories across initiatives. 

We are looking at versions / releases as business milestones that we communicate to our business stakeholders. We therefore separated streams according to business channels / services. We have ~10 streams with 3-6 releases each. There could be a few initiatives contributing to a stream, but it is also possible that a certain initiative has epics that get released in different streams since they serve a few business channels.

In this complex environment it is hard to anticipate how JIRA Portfolio will prioritize and allocate the teams' efforts, nor it the teams will be properly utilized:

1. How releases belonging to different streams are prioritized vs. each other when competing on the same team resources?
  2. (feature request) I'd like to easily rank initiatives according to priorities rather than having to manage the individual 200 epics' priorities (or - define by prioritizing initiatives, then tweak some epics).
  3. Would be great to easily tweak the end result plan directly by eg. drag and drop along the timeline. Is there a simple way to mimic this behavior?
  4. Is there something I'm missing in this complexity? a way to make it more straight forward?

Thanks

Ran

3 answers

2 votes
Jim Degnan July 7, 2016

Did anyone recieve a response from Atlassian on any of this? These feature requests are essential for this plug in to work:

1.  I'd like to easily rank initiatives according to priorities rather than having to manage the individual 200 epics' priorities (or - define by prioritizing initiatives, then tweak some epics).
  2. Would be great to easily tweak the end result plan directly by eg. drag and drop along the timeline. Is there a simple way to mimic this behavior?
2 votes
Paula Manildi October 13, 2015

We are asking the same question - we are currently evaluating JIRA Portfolio, but if this isn't answered I'm not sure it is worth the $13,000 for us to add it to our stable of Atlassian products.

2 votes
michaelmcc March 30, 2015

I have similar questions but have yet to see them answered by Altissian or anyone else. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events