Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to auto add Epics as children to an Initiative using SR's 'create subtask' post function

Lara Arthur February 14, 2022

Hi community,

Looking to see if anyone has successfully been able to automate the adding of Epics to an Initiative level issue during workflow updates using ScriptRunner's 'create Subtask' post function. 

Within the post function, ScriptRunner does allow for me to pick Epic as the subtask issue type...but when I apply this to the workflow, it ends up erroring out.

Initiative has been added to the hierarchy using Portfolio and the Parent Link field has been added to the Epic screens, but for some reason it will not create the Epic on the workflow transition.

Has anyone been able to figure this one out?

1 answer

1 vote
Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 14, 2022

Hi @Lara Arthur 

I would recommend using the built in Automation for Jira instead of Scriptrunner for this.

But regardless of automation tool, Epic cannot be selected as a sub-task issue type, because it isn't one.

High level guess of what the automation might look like below. Where customfield_10009 = Parent link and SAFe Epic is the equivalent of Initiative

Disclaimer, I may not have that additional fields section setup quite right, but can't test it currently either...Sorry!!

Hopefully this can get you started/close?

Screenshot 2022-02-15 160109.png

Lara Arthur February 15, 2022

I'll give it a try....I must say I've been staying away from it since I'm so used to using ScriptRunner for server. But being in the cloud now limits the use of it.

I do understand that an Epic is not a 'subtask' but there is a post function available in ScriptRunner that seems to allow you to set up that hierarchy.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events