How to associate Epics with a new hierarchy level above Epics?

Deleted user February 6, 2019

Given that Portfolio can only do Epics at the Epic hierarchy level, and that I can only *create hierarchy/scaffolding above epic level, how would I associate Epics to the "new hierarchy" of something like MVPs>Features>Epics>Stories please?

And thank you.

*Reference:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiraportfoliocloud/how-to-create-a-new-hierarchy-level-in-portfolio-for-jira-941618926.html 

2 answers

0 votes
Srinath Reddy Pinappu May 28, 2020

Our current Portfolio Hierarchy as follows Initiative--> Feature--> Epic--> Stories can create Hierarchy as Initiative(Custom issue Type) -->Epic--> Feature(Custom issue Type)---> Story .In the current set I am able to create another level above Initiative rather we wanted to have another level after epic. Please advise

0 votes
Blaise Rey-Mermet February 7, 2019

Hi. I solved this by considering the jira epic as a general grouping mechanism for e.g. stories, and then using my own issue type (here e.g. "portfolio epic") on top of it. 

Practically in the system admin interface "Add-on" tab, the Portfolio hierarchy looks like this:
1. (new) Portfolio Epic
2. (new) Capability
3. (new) Program Feature
4. Epic
5. Story
6. Sub-task
..but the picture says it better. Hope this helps. -Blaisehierarchy2.png

Deleted user February 7, 2019

Thank you Blaise, I appreciate the insight - did you create the new issue type in jira proper so it would propagate forward to portfolio, then assign the hierarchy within portfolio, or did you create the issue type portfolio-side  and inject it into the a new hierarchy as the procedure suggests, please?

If portfolio-side only does that mean maintenance of portfolio epics is done only on the portfolio side with no visibility within regular jira reporting?

Appreciate your insights and practical experience with portfolio.

Jeff

Blaise Rey-Mermet February 7, 2019

I created the new issue type "portfolio epic" in Jira , and then used it in the hierarchy within portfolio.

In my case, I also use a specific JIRA project for the Portfolio Layer, containing issues of type "portfolio epics". I then added the "structure" add-on to create a portfolio hierarchy across many JIRA projects (this is documented elsewere), but this is optional. If everything is one single JIRA project, then your new issue types and the proper "Portfolio" hierarchy works.

Enjoy - Blaise 

Like Caron Saul -Entier- likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events