Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to adjust timeline base on dependencies?

Jean-Francois Thibault June 7, 2022

I have 2 tasks with a Finish to Start dependencies. How to I get the start date of Task B to be automatically pushed out when Task A end date is pushed out? 

2022-06-07_7-17-10.png

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Anna Poppe June 8, 2022

@Michael Andolfatto 

I've been looking for an answer to the same question for a while now :D 

I've never used the auto-scheduler before, this doesn't work with manually adjusting start/finish of a task by any chance, does it?

Michael Andolfatto
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 8, 2022

Hey @Anna Poppe ,

No, there is no functionality for this as far as I'm aware. The blocked task will only have its position adjusted by the auto-scheduler or manually by a user moving it directly.

I would definitely recommend playing around with the auto-scheduler- it can be really helpful to use it as a foundation of sorts for your plan's timeline which can then be adjusted manually afterwards.

Anna Poppe June 8, 2022
Like # people like this
1 vote
Michael Andolfatto
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 7, 2022

Hi @Jean-Francois Thibault ,

You'll need to make sure your plan is configured for sequential dependencies rather than concurrent. This can be verified in the Plan Settings > Scheduling.

If sequential dependencies are enabled, Advanced Roadmaps will automatically schedule Task B after Task A. (as long as the global settings for dependencies are configured this way- you need to be an administrator to verify this)

If Tasks A and B have inherited Sprint dates and are scheduled accordingly, you will need to make sure that the auto-scheduler is set to overwrite Sprints rather than filling in empty values.

Raimund Antonitsch January 30, 2023

@Michael AndolfattoI've checked our settings.  All set to sequential. Currently we are planning on Initative level only (without epics/stories/sprints). Initative A+B+C all linked with a "blocks" dependency. Initially all of them were auto-planned. All fine. Then I've moved Initiative A to a later start date, overlapping Initative B. Automated Planning of B+C (without A) won't change anything. B ist overlapping A. Appreciate any help, hint, comment. Regards and thanks in advance.

Michael Andolfatto
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 30, 2023

Hi @Raimund Antonitsch , the auto-scheduler in Advanced Roadmaps will only move issues that have estimates applied (either time or story points) which is very rarely the case for high-level issues like Initiatives.

Advanced Roadmaps really excels from the bottom-up: the start date/end date of an issue like an Initiative is dependent on the scheduling of the lowest-level (estimated) items.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events