Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does Portfolio know which resource on a team to assign to a story in a fixed velocity sprint?

David Markowski (DO NOT USE) June 20, 2018

Say you have a team that can accomplish 10 points per sprint and there are 3 people on the team?  Does it do a split that each team member can do 3.33 points?  Or what is the logic on this?    

Thanks in advance!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 22, 2018

Hi David,

That's correct, provided the people all have the same amount of working hours

Let me know if you have any questions about that.

Regards,

Shannon

David Markowski (DO NOT USE) June 22, 2018

@Shannon S - Thanks, Lets say resource A is at 30 hours and Resource B is at 15 hours, how will it change the amount?  Will it reduce the velocity half for that resource in total? 

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 25, 2018

Think of it this way.

Say the team has a velocity of 10 story points. You have two team members, and they work 15 hours and 30 hours, respectively, so a total of 45 hours for the team.

We need to work 10 story points in 45 hours, so they will be divided accordingly. 

Thus, a 30 hour work week would do 6.66 story points, and 15 would be 3.33.

Essentially, if team member A works twice as more hours then B, then A will do twice as more story points as B.

Hope that's clear! Do let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Shannon

David Markowski (DO NOT USE) July 6, 2018

@Shannon Spaniol that is PERFECT.  Thank you for all you rhelp. 

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
July 9, 2018

You're welcome, David! Happy I was able to help.

Regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events