Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I know what fields map to the estimates field in Portfolio for Jira?

Caitlin Jonesler December 12, 2018

I am using Portfolio for Server 2.20 and can't find any documentation that explains which Jira field/s map to the Estimates field in Portfolio. I can see that Story Points does but we have a custom field (Initial Story Points) that does as well. What other possibilities are there?

Ideally, I have an estimation on the Initiative/Epic Jira issue that will be overwritten in Portfolio as the Stories and sub-tasks are broken down.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Roi Fine
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 13, 2018

Hi @Caitlin Jonesler

Thanks for your detailed use-case. One way you can bridge the gap in estimation detail between middle management & dev. teams is by using target dates to initiatives and epics to represent a certain size of expected time. Dev. teams could use story points for stories. Would that work for you?

Cheers,

Roi

Caitlin Jonesler December 14, 2018

We are considering using target dates. The immediate downfall I see there is that it requires manual manipulation rather than utilizing the calculate functionality. 

For now, I have been using quarter fix versions so I can represent the quarter we anticipate working on something. I will keep playing with these options and consider the feature suggestion you offered once I come up with a firm proposal. 

Thank you for your time. 

1 vote
Dave Sausville November 15, 2019

The original seed of this question still seems unanswered.  "which Jira field/s map to the Estimates field in Portfolio"?  We are having issues where we are putting data into the Estimate(d) field in Portfolio, but not seeing on the ticket after committing the update.  Knowing exactly which field this shows up in would be helpful.

0 votes
Steven Lloyd October 11, 2021

Hi,

Was there ever any clarification on the above topic? I am currently looking to see if it is possible to get a sum of all child issues estimates to total to the parent issue but I am unable to find which field Estimate (d) actually maps to or where it even lives outside of the plans/portfolio.

0 votes
Roi Fine
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 17, 2019

Hi @Dave Sausville , 

If you are using time to estimate than the days/hours fields in Portfolio describe the remaining estimate in Jira.

If you are using story points than the mapping is 1:1 with Jira's Story points.

Please let me know if that makes sense,

Roi

Dave Sausville November 18, 2019

Thank you.  That is helpful.  But when I look at the Field Configurations (even the default one), I see no mention of `Remaining Estimate` as a field that can be displayed on the individual tickets.

I can see that the data is properly captured in the `Time Tracking` field, but we don't actually record (for now) the work logged for individual items.  We just want to see the field labeled `Remaining Estimate`.  For context, we are using a Classic project and the system config for Time Tracking Provider is "JIRA provided time tracking".

I'm happy to open a separate ticket if you wish.  But we need some help locating this field to add to the tickets.

Like Rob Clemens likes this
0 votes
Roi Fine
Atlassian Team
December 12, 2018

Hi Caitlin,

There is no ability to map story points in Portfolio to custom fields. Can you please explain why using the story points field won't work for you?

You can always submit a feature suggestion ticket here. We review the tickets often when prioritizing our roadmap.

Please let me know if you got any question,

Best,

Roi Fine | Portfolio for Jira Server/DC | Product Manager 

Caitlin Jonesler December 13, 2018

Thanks for the response, Roi. At the Initiative/Epic level, we want to do something closer to t-shirt sizing or engineer month estimates.  My architect can then spitball a size of the project to help with cost/benefit analysis and prioritization without us doing a full story breakdown. Story points feel too defined/granular for this activity. 

Another option would be estimated hours so I can evaluate my proposed items against my projects that have been story pointed. Then I could use Portfolio's translations of story points to hours. PMO projects would have estimated hours, Dev projects would have story points. Combining those in Portfolio would give me a full picture. 

Like Roi Fine likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events