Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I assign multiple teams to cross-project initiatives?

Bronté Miles November 15, 2018

I have set my initiatives up in a separate project that I pull into multiple different Portfolio plans to represent cross-projects goal completion.

This has resulted in a "This issue can't be scheduled properly because the assigned team isn't present in your plan" error in some of my plans due to a previous team association i.e.

1. Initiative XYZ was pulled into Plan 1 and associated to some of Plan 1's epics.
  2. This resulted in Initiative XYZ being automatically assigned to Team 1 (Plan 1's team).
  3. When I pulled Initiative XYZ into Plan 2, I received the above error as Team 2 (Plan 2's team) is not the same as Team 1 (and I'm working in two different plans).

Can anyone advise on whether there is a way for an initiative to have two separate teams assigned to it in two separate plans?

Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 16, 2018

Hello,

It sounds like you have teams set up on each plan independently, check out the document on setting up Shared teams.

Regards,
Earl

Bronté Miles November 18, 2018

Hi Earl,

Thanks for your reply!

Unfortunately, I'm not sure this will work as our structure requires multiple separate teams to work on the same initiative across multiple different departments.

I could assign everyone who will be working on an initiative to the same shared team, however, this will be counter-intuitive to the company structure.

Additionally, as individuals will not be working on initiatives at all (i.e. we are using them as placeholders of department goals for the quarter), and, as far as I understand, teams are assigned to issues so that Portfolio can assign appropriately, a shared team will likely not by-pass the error as it won't be the shared team working on the given plan's issues (it'll be that department./project team).

Thanks again for your help!

B

Tarang November 29, 2018

I see the same warning message: "This issue can't be scheduled properly because the assigned team isn't present in your plan"  for some items in a plan related to a single team and in the simplest of cases - as in not looking to plan across an initiative that is shared by many teams and their plans.

When I review the items in question they are assigned to the Team and so the warning message appears to be a contradiction.

Then there is the irony of Team as a artifact in Jira.  Atlassian company stock symbol is "Team" and yet this artifact in Jira isn't even a first class citizen. Its hidden in number of layers within Portfolio which just doesn't make sense. Soi much for "teaming"

Bronté Miles December 6, 2018

Thanks for the reply, Tarang. I'm sorry that you're having the same issue.

Unfortunately, I have yet to receive an answer to my issue, however, on the level of a team that is not shared across projects, have you tried re-associating the teams set up in Portfolio with the Jira "Team" as per the attached.

Team Association.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events