Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can i change the status in advanced roadmaps

ilonka June 2, 2020

Is it possible to change the status directly into the plan of advanced roadmaps, or do i need to go to the issue to change this?

11 answers

5 votes
Clifford Gurney August 24, 2021
5 votes
Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 1, 2021

There are a few reasons why you can’t edit the status of an issue in a plan.

The first is because Advanced Roadmaps plans are a “sandbox” environment we’d need to ensure that it was clear that the change wasn’t having an immediate effect (and if it did, then changing the status would be different from all other changes). At the moment we aren't clear what the correct approach should be ... i.e. the updated status change is pending until committed, or the change is immediate.

Secondly, depending upon your issue workflow it might be a requirement to provide additional data to the issue at the time of changing the workflow. Arguably we could support simple transitions where screens aren't required to be completed on transition though as this would be a simpler problem to solve and might address the majority of cases.

So although we recognise that value in being able to change workflow status from within a plan, there are significant challenges to making sure that this is a clear and intuitive experience.

But the final reason is that there is a very simple workaround to the problem (i.e. to go directly to the issue and change the status from the issue screen). There are a huge number of feature requests we have and when it comes to prioritising them we take factors like this into consideration. The fact that there is a workaround reduces the priority against features where there is no workaround.

I hope that explains why this capability isn’t available at the moment - that isn't to say we don't think this would be an incredibly valuable feature. It's definitely something I'd like to see added but we only have a limited number of developers available and are unable to address all the feature requests as quickly as we'd like.

At the moment this feature isn't on our immediate roadmap so you shouldn't expect to see it added in the near future. I appreciate that this isn't the answer you're hoping for, but I just wanted to be honest and set expectations realistically,

Regards,
Dave

Steven Stroffolino March 2, 2021

Hi and thanks for updating!

Completely appreciate the rationale as you have explained it but I cannot see how enabling this change is different from say, the ability to reassign a story to a colleague or to create a new story under an epic. All of these changes are 'pending' until published to the Jira project and so, any advanced roadmaps user will know this as a default. As you mentioned, it is a "Sandbox" environment so this type of change shouldn't differ from the others.

Even in the example you provide of further info being required prior to transitioning in a workflow, this is imposed by the project and therefore, as you mention, roadmaps can simply support transitions where this is not the case (Simple transitions with no blockers).

Quite rightly, there is a workaround but I must say, it isn't a great user experience nor is it a deal-breaker. My logic is; for small change - big impact items like this, it's a no brainer...

Like # people like this
Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 2, 2021

I'm definitely not disagreeing with you @Steven Stroffolino ... and I probably agree that it would make sense to make the change pending until committed, I also agree that we could use the same approach as we do for required fields on commit... it's not that it's impossible to, just that it's necessarily a quick fix.

But in terms of priority let's compare with features such as Next-Gen project support, exporting plans as an image, support for editing description, additional custom field type support, individual capacity management, etc (please note I've just listed some common requests off the top of my head, these aren't all features we're currently working on!)... all customers have different perspectives on what the most important feature is and not all of them have simple workarounds.

However, I do completely agree this would be an incredibly useful feature and one that I would use on a daily basis.

Regards,

Dave

Like # people like this
Valerie July 26, 2021

Hi Dave, 
any updates on this? 
When planning product roadmaps cross-team we're moving many issues to a 'blocked' status. I see your points, I just checking in if that feature is now on the roadmap. 
thank you! 

Like # people like this
Dave Sheldon August 13, 2021

Love Enhanced Roadmap, but having to open each issue to change the status is a pain! Seems odd that all other properties can be changed with no problem. Major gap in functionality. 

Like # people like this
Georg Wartenberg October 14, 2021

Would love to be able to change status directly in a plan! It is a pain have to use the workaround with opening each issue to change the status.

Like # people like this
Cedric Bernard December 20, 2021

Sharing the same pain. Updating fields from advanced roadmap display is SOooooo confortable and efficient compared to the old fashionned way of dealing with dozens of open tabs....

Please, prioritize this request :-)

Cedric

Like # people like this
Like # people like this
Jasmine Thomas (TechTime) February 16, 2023

It would be super handy to be able to change the status from the roadmaps! I think if you make the change and commit it later would be a good approach.

Like Demetri Papanicolaou likes this
Brent Betters May 12, 2023

It is extremely painful to have to go back to my kanban board and search through dozens if not hundreds of cards to change status. An easy fix that would add a lot of value, would be to add click and change functionality in advanced roadmaps. All changes need to be reviewed before committing, so seems like an obvious feature add.

Like # people like this
Ievgenii Vasiuk June 14, 2023

The competitor plugins have this feature, because of that it might be hard for me to talk management/users into switching to a "native" plugin 

1 vote
Tomasz Próchniak September 7, 2023

Dear Atlassian Team

How can you be so ignorant and not implement a simple functionality for more than 3 years now? I saw in JIRA dozens completely senseless and unneeded features and this one in really useful and important especially for PMs who work with roadmaps on the massive scale with hundred tasks. Switching in such a situation every time to the details of the task to change its status is unergonomic and time-consuming. It is really the waste of time. Please do something about it at last !!!!

1 vote
Greg Sadetsky December 8, 2021

Just to make sure, it's possible to update the assignee, and many, if not all of the fields' values (for an epic or issue) in the Advanced Roadmap, but the only field that cannot be updated is the status field?

We would really, really, really want to be able to update the status field from the Advanced Roadmap view. It would be terribly useful!

Thanks a lot!

1 vote
Or Daniel November 25, 2021

Hey, any updates on this?

1 vote
Ramon Yll Prous March 1, 2021

Any updates on this?

1 vote
Roei Soudai December 30, 2020

Seems like a basic UX behavior request.
Do I really need to open each ticket change the status and refresh the page?
Even via Bulk Action?

0 votes
Quentin Feyaerts
Atlassian Team
November 15, 2023

Dear all,

We are currently releasing this feature in Advanced Roadmaps Cloud edition. You can read more about it on this announcement page: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Advanced-planning-articles/Update-Issue-status-directly-in-Advanced-Roadmaps/ba-p/2534687#M675

Best regards,

Quentin
Senior Frontend Engineer at Atlassian

0 votes
Lars-Harald Båtnes November 15, 2023

Please implement this for Cloud edition. can't see whats the problem. we can edit anything else!

0 votes
Richard Ruyle September 29, 2023

We had the same issue, very inconvenient.  I had to create a custom field that is a pull down that matched our status.  I then setup automation so when that value is changed, it has an if else that transitions the issue to the correct status.  Not elegant but works

0 votes
Richard D'Ambrosio December 10, 2020

Having this same issue.  I'm guessing it isn't possible?

j.hoffmann December 10, 2020

Same problem. Doesn't seem to work.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events