How can I update child tasks when parent issue is changed?

Collin Lemons May 10, 2023

I've created two automations to sync parent/child issues and neither are working. One is set to copy the label field from parent to child on creation of the child: (I know it's currently disabled; it doesn't work when enabled.)

Auto1.png

The other should update an existing child issue when the label field of the parent changes:

Auto2.png

What am I doing wrong? 

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Michel Neeser
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 10, 2023

Hi @Collin Lemons

For your first use case (copy from parent when child is created), I would try it like this with the COPY action:

copylabels.png

That fixed the creation automation! Thanks so much for the help, Michel!

Michel Neeser
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 10, 2023

@Collin Lemons Glad I could help! Please consider accepting the answer, maybe it is helpful for others as well. Thank you!

Collin Lemons May 11, 2023

I absolutely will, Michel: I'm delaying it for fear that when I accept your answer, others will see this post as resolved, and I still have the other automation that still isn't working. 

Michel Neeser
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 11, 2023

@Collin Lemons I checked the other automation too. The solution provided by @Himanshi works perfectly in general. But what you seem to have is a parent/child relationship on the epic level and not actual subtasks (I think this is what @Himanshi wanted to clarify in the comment below).

So, you basically need to change your automation rule to "For Stories" instead of "For Sub-tasks" like this:

Automation_-_Jira.png

Collin Lemons May 11, 2023

That did it. Thanks again, Michel!

1 vote
Himanshi
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 10, 2023

Hello @Collin Lemons , 

Welcome to community!
I have an automation rule setup where I tested the copying the labels from parent to subtask. 

I am sharing the snippet for your reference , please try and test . This should work for you :

Screenshot 2023-05-11 at 1.34.49 AM.png

0 votes

Himanshi,

Thanks for the quick response!

I believe I altered my automation to match yours, but I'm afraid it didn't work. When I check the audit log it says "Branch rule / related issues No related issues could be found." The trigger issue has a child issue, though. :( 

Himanshi
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 10, 2023

Hey @Collin Lemons , 

Can you confirm if the issue is child issue or subtask both have different relation with parent. Would it be possible to share the snippet of the parent issue  where the child /subtask issue can be shown.

It is a child issue:

Auto3.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events