• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How can I track a hardware project concurrently with a software project in Portfolio?

We have been using Portfolio to track a software and related firmware project.  I would like to add the hardware tasks so they can be tracked concurrently.  However, not all team members use JIRA (or have a real need to) and some tasks are assigned to outside resources (contract manufacturers, metal fabricators, etc.)

From what I have read, there is no way to assign tasks to "phantom" members - it is my understanding that tasks can only be assigned to those with JIRA accounts.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

1 answer

Hi @Al Flint

You're correct that you can't assign an issue to a user who doesn't have an account. I can think of two options.

External Assignee Field:

• Create a custom field - such as select list or custom label - to house the users who do not have user accounts
  • Add this to your screen and populate the users in there
  • You could also add one "phantom" user called External Assignee or Phantom User - which you know refers to that field when viewing those issues.

Non-Access Users:

You can create users which don't have access to Jira - but are still assignable. This doesn't count towards your licences as long as they're not in a group with application access. To do this:

• Go to Settings > User Management > Groups
  • Create a new group - External Users. Don't give this group application access to Jira
  • Create user accounts for your external users. As they won't be accessing Jira through them - you don't even have to use their emails!
  • Ensure the only group they're added to is the "External Users" group - so any default group added is removed.
  • Next, go to Settings > Issues > Permission Schemes
  • Locate the permission scheme(s) relevant to your project and click into them
  • In the top-right, select Grant Permission
  • Select the permission "Assignable User" and choose to provide it to the "External Users" group and press Grant

^ This should provide access to assign the user without them having access to login to Jira nor using a licence. 

If preferred, to avoid giving them access you can change the default group applied to new users to one without application access - so to make the default "External Users"

• Go to Settings > Applications > Application Access
  • In the top-right is a button - Set default for new users
  • Within here you can set what access new users have by default - including removing access as a default

Ste

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Advanced Roadmaps

Introducing Advanced Roadmap’s new dependency report

To see this feature in action check out our recent dependencies demo here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQu5VsUqyZA Keeping on top of your dependencies is a key part of ensuring project success....

128 views 2 6
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you